Mark VI Toolbox

S

samson16

Hello there,

Could you please advise me how to unforce an analog signal that has been forced on a toolbox? (I mean how to get back the signal to its original status from the device or system). We do have a Force box to uncheck in case of a digital signal. But we don't have one for analog signal.

Another question with toolbox, at one of the sites, our Engineer has requested for a help - how to decompress a *.dl.m6b file. he wants to view the m6b file through toolbox, but he finds only dl.m6b file.

this probably amounts to Restoring a back up if I am right.

Pl advise.

samson16,

Have you tried using the 'Help' feature of Toolbox?

There should also be a Documentation folder somewhere on the VM (Virtual Machine) that holds all of the GE documentation. It's kind of cryptic because only the publication numbers are listed in the Folder contents, BUT only can open a document, write down the name, close the document, right-click on the document name and select 'Rename' and then rename the document (WITHOUT affecting the document contents) to something that is more intelligible and recognizable.

One can also copy documents to new folders where only applicable documents can be easily (re-)found.

But, one should always RTFM (Read The Fine Manual) before asking for help.

If someone figured out how to force an analog signal, that same person should be able to figure out how to unforce it (it's basically the same thing, just unchecking the 'Force' box that was checked to force it so some value).

.dl stands for "download" if I'm correct; it's the file created when one does a download. I'm not sure if it can be "un-downloaded." Has he tried opening the file with Toolbox and seeing what it says? (What does it say when he tries to open the .dl file with Toolbox? That would require opening Toolbox, then clicking on File, then Open, then navigating to the location where the .dl file is located, and selecting it to be Opened.)

As for your previous post, most of the simulators the OEM has produced have really only been for operators--to allow them to Start, Stop, and raise- and lower load; pretty basic operations. Almost ZERO simulators ever had proper functionality to allow someone to simulate a high wheelspace differential temperature, or a high exhaust temperature spread, or a high atomizing air temperature--to test the operator's reactions. Which is a shame, because that's what simulators should do.

I do know of a couple of companies which have produced some very detailed simulations (including heat rate and performance data)--but it came at a six-figure cost (hundreds of thousands of US dollars). And, it they were ONLY for a specific CCGT plant, and were very prone to experiencing hang-ups. Some of them had some very elaborate training and testing functions for operators, but, that took some very intricate programming and a good knowledge of operations and sequences, which can be hard to find (a programmer who knows gas turbines, or a programmer who can work with a technician/engineer who knows gas turbines). And, usually, the support contract was deemed too expensive after three or four years, and so the system went unused and un-maintained after that. And, there usually very little documentation for the systems--it was all "tribal" knowledge, too.

There are really no good simulators out there which can be used to simulate both operations and technical training--to the degree that operators and technicians need training. Just watching a simple start-up, loading, unloading and shutdown, and being able to do simple changes and functions in Toolbox (ToolboxST) isn't really worth the money after a couple of months. Maybe for new operators in the coming months/years, but it gets pretty old for most people. And, usually what happens is that someone didn't make a proper back-up of the as-received files and the configuration gets "damaged" and the person doing the "damage" doesn't know how to fix it or doesn't want to tell someone it's damaged, and then no one can recover from the "damage." (You have been warned!)

RTFM, my friend--it's your first resource, and can be your best friend, I guarantee you'll learn more than you set out to if you use the manuals and the 'Help.' And, anything you need clarification on, ask here. We like to help people who are trying to help themselves.

Hello CSA,

Thank you for your elaborate response. Yes I do find several limitations on the simulator in maintenance point of view. However, it gives a good hands on experience for operation.

Unfortunately on the simulator we don't have a checkbox to uncheck for analog forcing, while we have it for logic forcing. Hence asked you for help. I am not sure if we have such check box for analog signals in real world Mark-VI.

As per the toolbox write up it says we can force analog signals at card level, which seems not possible on a simulator. We could however succeed forcing analog signals (on simulator) at BENGs by pausing the simulation executive, and by running it again the signal gets overridden.

In my next opportunity of access, I shall check for this analog forcing on a real world Mark-VI.

Thank you once again for your help.

Samson16