Rocket Launcher door

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I am working on a college mechanical engineering project and I would like to know what products would fit this application. We need a simple opening mechanism for a rocket launcher. Two doors of approximately 4" width and 34" length sit on top of a 5"W 35"L 5"D housing. The two doors need to open simultaneously within 30 seconds, dwell for 10 minutes, and close in 30 seconds. Any actuator, motor, etc. must be mounted on the side of the main casing. Please let me know what products would fit this application.

Thank you.

S

Stephan Barry

Hello,

Door opening system could be pneumatic or electric (depends on application). Rodless cylinders supply a wide variety of strokes and bore sizes (guided and unguided) using approximately 40% less space as rod style cylinder. Also,they are self supporting and can be used as a structual support.

If you like, you may contact me at this e-mail address: [email protected]

Regards and good luck

T

Tom Marshall

Have you thought about hydraulics. I would use 1 or 2 hydraulic cylinders, accumulator, dc power unit, electric control valve with manual over-ride, free reverse flow controls to control open and close speed, check valve and possibly a sequencing valve should you need to do things in a particular order. To keep time in your dwell you could use a relay timer. You don't say what kind of power you have avialable. I would also be thinking about back-up systems. As this is a military project: What happens if you lose your power plant, batteries, etc.? You would still have to be able to lauch your rocket, to be judged successful.

Just some things to think about. If you would like to talk more, I can be contacted at 901-494-1545.

Tom Marshall