Power Plant automation system

D

D. Ghosh

I am looking for large-scale green field project, wherein a common and seamless hardware user interface is possible for various power plant equipment, i.e. Boiler, Turbine Governor & Generator excitation system, etc.

We want to take full advantage of smart field instrumentation, basic and advanced control algorithms with auto-tuning option, object-oriented programming in control and graphic modules.

It is required to integrate a high number of subordinated PLCs with Modbus or Profibus DP protocol.

I will be grateful for any advice/suggestions.

B

Bob Peterson

Sounds like you have been listening to way too many salesmen throw
meaningless terms together in more or less coherent sentences.

If you can use and take advantage of Ethernet Modbus TCP/IP, take a look at Acromag's EtherStax and BusWorks Ethernet I/O for your analog and discrete signals. Acromag offers Modbus RTU and Profibus DP I/O products as well but the EtherStax system offers high performance, large channel count w/high density, and affordable pricing.

Go to www dot acromag dot com and search on EtherStax, ES2113, ES2161,
ES2162, and BusWorks 900EN.

S

Schneider Italy

I suggest MODICON QAUNTUM by Schneider Electric. It is designed for managing a large quantity of I/O, many different communication protocols. High reliability with Hot-Standby redundancy system.

You might choose the SIL2 QUANTUM processor (this QUANTUM has got two different CPUs running together and processing the same application!) QUANTUM SIL2 has also Hot-Standby redundancy system. The software Unity Pro is great!!

Schneider I see has a CPC system (something similar to a DCS system). Or using Schneider UAG software is possible to program PLC and SCADA in a very powerful way. (I've seen some demo.)

So this is one of your possible choices...

V

Vikas Deshpande

I do not know to what extent common hardware, etc. is required by you. Conventionally there are only a few manufacturers like ABB, Siemens, etc. who cater to all kind of requirements for power plant controls. As far as we know, ABB has DCS 800xA & a discrete Generator excitation system UNITROL , which can be connected over field bus to the DCS. Siemens being OEM for Turbine, Generator, automation systems, they have DCS SPPA - T1000 which has a uniform hardware for power plant automation, turbine governor & generator excitation controls, etc

Other DCS vendors, e.g. Honeywell, Yokogawa, etc. have DCS systems which are common for Process industries, which are as well used for Power plant automation. Therefore, they do not have power plant specific controls, e.g. Turbine Governor, generator excitation controls of their own. However, they provide communication over Modbus gateways for standard discrete third parties, e.g. Woodword, Basler, etc.

I do not really understand why you require a uniform hardware platform. The only advantages for common hardware are having minimum inventory, single skill set for C&I engineers and single source for AMCs. In fact, you may get some price advantage by having discrete systems. In any way these systems are able to communicate over gateways.

Those who are able to supply common hardware platform makes USP for marketing of their own systems.

R

Ravi Mahajan

ABB's 800xA is most suitable for the kind of application you are looking for.

On top of it you have now IEC61850 connectivity with 800xA which allows seamless integration of Substation Automation and Process Automation