Communication with different Protocols

V

V. K. Krishnan

I am trying to communicate with networks of different protocols. i.e.one in Modbus and the other in IEC6087o-5-103.

Is there a way to overcome this problem without the use of OPC servers?
I am sure the data exchange between them through a converter should be available?
Do we have any converter like RS232 to RS485 converter for this particular application of converting the data from Modbus and IEC 60870-5-103?

Can anyone help me on this? This requirement has suddenly cropped up and I have to find a solution in week's time.
I welcome all suggestions and solutions!
Krishnan

A

Angelescu Ionut

Yes, it is possible.
The equipments must be in the same RS485 network.
The RS232/485 converters exist.
You must know how the equipments comunnicate (7 or 8 bits 1 parity bit etc.) and what WORD must send to equipment.
After you send the WORD to the equipment that must to respond.

R

Rob van Dijk

Hi Krishnan,

There is a protocolconverter available which is called BabelBox. With this tool one can convert over 40 different protocols to and from each other. I am using it myself. It takes a little time configurating, but it works ok.

Greetz,

Rob

M

Mike O'Connor

SIXNET offers several products that can act as protocol converters. Our Linux-based (IPm) controllers and RTUs already support Modbus (ASCII, RTU, TCP, and UDP) in both master and slave modes. Then you can run just about any other protocol driver in the Linux operating system. Unfortunately we don't currently offer an IEC60970-5-103 driver but you may be able to find some source code that can be easily ported to run in Linux. Our IPm units offer Ethernet (up to 5), RS232 (up to 4), and RS485 communication ports. Please go to http://www.sixnetio.com/html_files/oems/ipm_ind_firmware.htm#protocol for more information on our protocol conversion capabilities. Or go to http://www.sixnetio.com/ for general information.

Hi Bovigny,
Thanks for your response but can you be able to give me this solution for this particular project?
I am prepared to work with you to find a solution.

I have had a look at your website and I am not able to get a clear picture of the solution. Will you be kind enough to respond to our request for this specific solution.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan

Dear Mr. Krishnan

We can supply you RS 232 /RS 485 converter it works both way RS 485 / RS 232. the D type connector 25 Pins is provided for the in & out & 2 wire or 4 wire com is possible

[email protected]