Flow Meter for Sea Water Application

S

Suhail

Hi,

Can anyone suggest me the cost effective flow measurement solution for sea water 114" GRP pipe, flow rate 40,000 m3/hr, pressure 2bar, flow velocity 1.5 m/s.

P

Popd.ix.netcom.com

"Cost effective" is relative. How accurate do you want your output to be? You have a very large pipe with a relatively slow velocity flow. You are close to the minimum accurate flow rate for magmeters and transit time ultrasonics at 1.5 m/s but both will still work. Heck, a paddle wheel flow meter will work, for some values of work, depending on how accurate you want it to be.

How about more info?

Walt Boyes

Sent from my iPad

F
Thanks Walt Boyes you are superb.

Accuracy 1-2% would be fine. Problem is - because line is GRP (glass rainforce pipe), clamp on UFM will not work. Peddle wheel flow meter is not required. I am looking for some insertion type solution. (Is magmeter available in 114" size pipe?)

I've never heard of a magmeter that large- the price would be outrageous.

You could probably use an annubar type meter but I'm not sure. Call 1800 999 9307 and they'll let you know if it will work.

R
A propeller type flowneter might be a good fit, they come in a saddle type installation. You would just have something looking like an 8" boat propeller poking into the line. I haven't bought one of these for years but they work great for large pipes. The velocity is too low I think for the small paddle wheels.

Like a mag meter they measure velocity and you would just multiply by CSA to get Volume.

Hi

is it on a new construction or existing pipe ?

do you expect to install a intrusive flowmeter with flange or with probes? I suppose with probe due to the price. magnetic flow meter with insertion probe (1/3 of diameter), ultrasonic with several insertion transducers in direct mode (Multi-path systems to reduce error measurement if you need), vortex insertion probe etc:
For vortex and magmeter, easy to find up to 80" but for 114" ... So I would work on ultrasonic solution with insertion probe and 4 transducers (we did it for water in Peru, I think it was on a DN2500).

what sort of accuracy do you need?

and are you measuring raw water (unfiltered, untreated,etc), or cooling water effluent?

Clamp-on ultrasonics are not limited to metallic pipe, and are routinely installed on lined pipe and all plastic pipe.

It's a technology worthy of consideration for such a large diameter pipe.

> Can anyone suggest me the cost effective flow measurement solution for sea water
> 114" GRP pipe, flow rate 40,000 m3/hr, pressure 2bar, flow velocity 1.5 m/s.

You can use Siemens FUS clamp on flow meter with multi-channel low frequency transducer in direct model. Flow velocity, indeed, low enough to have best accuracy, but will work.

> what sort of accuracy do you need?

> and are you measuring raw water (unfiltered, untreated,etc), or cooling water effluent?

Expected accuracy is up to 1~2%
Yes the water is raw water for cooling purpose.

R

Richard Lowrie

There are several options available, there are mag meters in this diameter, but with FRP pipe I would go with a transit time clamp on ultrasonic meter. Most will cover the 114 inch diameter and should deliver 1 to 2 percent accuracy. if you desire higher accuracy go with a multiple sensor arrangement which is inserted into the pipe.