Today is...
Monday, June 24, 2019
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Watch an animation of a conveyor stacking operation demonstrating the use of a move on a gear command.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Octagon 5066 with DOS 6.22, 485 Modbus RTU Driver
Old mini computer Octagon 5066 with DOS 6.22 OS system and the board has 485 interface. Need to develop a program to poll another device which is transmitting parameters using 485 Modbus RTU.
1 out of 1 members thought this post was helpful...

Hello,

Could you help me sketch a plan of action?

I have an old mini computer Octagon 5066 with DOS 6.22 OS system. The board has 485 interface. There is also another device which transmitting parameters using 485 Modbus RTU. So I need to develop a program to poll this device.

I only have some skills of programming Atmega controller in C and programming on Delphi.

So roughly speaking, is the Octagon 5066 like ordinary controller, and the approach to writing drivers is the same? Should I use the operating system DOS to get access to 485 port? As I understand it only works with the file system? Should I work with the registers of port 485 like in a ordinary controller? There is no information about 485 registers in datasheet on Octagon 5066.

Which language should I use to write driver C, C ++? Do I need an assembler?

I do not understand the structure. As I understand I will have an Autoexec.bat file consisting link to my driver. This driver periodically polls my sensor, and in a certain place of memory is the value I need. And my main program has access to this area of memory. Right?

What easy and modern program can I develop in order to master this project? The more documentation and examples the better. Maybe it will be a DOS emulator on the computer and exchanging on RS232 with the controller?

What do I need to know? Thank you in advance.