Detroit Diesel Engine hunting

E

Engineer

Dear sirs,

we are have one problem of our generator engine Detroit Diesel 149, engine running hunting, we have done check fuel system, renewed fuel pump, renewed fuel injector, renewed fuel filter but the idle running still hunting even increase rpm. thanks for you help.

rgds
Ariel Payung

Hi Ariel,

I'm not familiar with the 149 but I'll try to help. When you say idle running, do you mean running a generator synchronous rpm but no electrical load or running at a slow idle (say 700rpm)? Does the hunting stop when the generator is electrically loaded to about 50% capacity or more? Is the speed governor integral with the injection pump or is it a separate (electrical/electronic?) device?

You seem to have replaced most of the major fuel system components but if there is no separate governor device that could be faulty, I'd suspect air being sucked into the fuel system and suggest you check every joint, coupling, fitting and every inch of fuel pipe/hose between the pick-up point in the tank and the injection pump. Also check the spill back line to the tank and check the tank cap and/or breather to ensure it's not blocked.

Hope this helps,
Ian