50HZ concept

D

Deepan

Hi to all,

let's come to the topic either i am an engineer i am having some doubt why in india we r using the 50HZ scheme? And what is the reason for mentioning the frequency in 50HZ and 60HZ? Why we r not mention the frequency in 30(or)40 HZ? tell me the reason...

Well, because you've got to have a "Standard" that everyone agrees on. In India, you were once part of the British Empire, so you inherited the British Standard - 240V @ 50Hz.

There are all sorts of reasons why standards get picked. Some of them are good, some of them are not, and some of them are lost in the depths of history.

S

Sushant Chanana

Hello Rob,

I guess OP is asking for the technical reasons behind 50 & 60 Hz concept & not country or history specific. Even if 50 Hz is adapted by British & 60 Hz by Americans,i guess they did that considering some technical aspects & probably not to prove there hegemony...

And OP is asking for those technical reasons. It would be conductive if you can shed some light on this from your experience.

Regards
Sushant Chanana
sushant.chanana [at] sedl.in

60Hz emerged as most efficient during the discovery of 3phase generation. there isn't much difference btw using 50 or 60, but 50Hz is slower hence less efficient, probably has more loss.

don't forget that US uses 110V/60Hz while europe 220/50.

regards,
anri

C

Curt Wuollet

That range is a compromise of several factors. Much lower and the transformers require too much iron and copper, much higher and the transmission losses get excessive. Since there were probably several choices at the time with no standard, it probably came down to which supplier they decided to go with at the very start. Or which was the most prevalent when they started interconnecting.

They were pretty good choices, no compelling reason to change has come up since. If they started over, they might pick something higher with the improved materials and the cost factors of today, but we are headed for more local generation and a smarter net and who knows what changes that may bring.

Regards
cww

As much as I dislike Wikipedia, I suggest looking at their page on "Utility Frequency" and the Discussion page associated with it.