OSHA safety inspection

T

Tom Bullock

If OSHA visits, what information is appropriate to show that my machines are guarded correctly?

B

Bob Peterson

Q: If OSHA visits, what information is appropriate to show that my machines are guarded correctly?

A: I don't think you can. What you can do is show that your machines are guarded in accordance with appropriate nationally recognized standards. This is both relatively straightforward and maddeningly complex at the same time.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

C

Curt Wuollet

That they are grounded correctly would be the best. Depending on where you are this could include provisions from NFPA, OSHA specs and local inspection practice. Grounding seems to be a controversial subject but those should get you close.

Regards
cww

R

Richard Harris

Interestingly, OSHA rarely just stops by. While they always arrive unannounced, they are usually there in direct response to an accident or "whistle-blower" complaint.

If your machine is one that is listed in the OSHA regulations then you should be prepared to demonstrate that your guarding approach addresses the specific OSHA requirements.

More commonly your machine will fall under the general guarding clause in 1910.212.
In this case you should be prepared to demonstrate that your guarding is either the result of a comprehensive risk assessment or follows the guidelines in an ANSI B11. standard for that machine type.

Remember that most OSHA inspectors are not guarding experts and as such what ever you did should be well documented and point to recognized industry standards