control theory application fields??

J

Jim S

Can some of the pros please advise on the application control fields where one can make most use of control design stuff like : pole placement, root locus, compensation... and also LQG controller design, observers, Kalman filtering, neural networks... For example I hear car engine control design involves now some heavy control problems?

S

ScienceOfficer

Jim---

The world consists of linear and nonlinear systems. You ask about linear systems...

I have applied linear theory to traffic control, project management, the stock market, pumps, fans, robots, car engine controls (at GM during the seventies), theme park rides, and a bunch of other stuff.

Yet, most of this list is devoted to questions about nonlinear systems. In fact, I would estimate that only the posts about servos and PID are truly about linear systems, and some of those are questionable.

The stuff you speak of is important and useful. It just isn't discussed much in this forum. Contact me offlist if I can help you further.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida
ScienceOfficer @compuserve.com

Jim---

The world consists of linear and nonlinear systems. You ask about linear systems...

I have applied linear theory to traffic control, project management, the stock market, pumps, fans, robots, car engine controls (at GM during the seventies), theme park rides, and a bunch of other stuff.

Yet, most of this list is devoted to questions about nonlinear systems. In fact, I would estimate that only the posts about servos and PID are truly about linear systems, and some of those are questionable.

The stuff you speak of is important and useful. It just isn't discussed much in this forum. Contact me offlist if I can help you further.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida
ScienceOfficer @compuserve.com
Hey Larry, are you still on this forum? LD