Breaker Closure Speed in Synchronising

We are replacing Generator breakers (6.9 KV) VCB with New ones which are designed to close much faster than the existing ones. Does this need any setting change in ToolBox in Mark Vie?

What is the effect on the Gas turbine? We have two Frame 5 GT's with Mark Vie.

Circuit breaker supplier is asking us to look in to this and do necessary changes.

Mund123,

There is a feature/option in the Mark VIe that uses the expected breaker closure time to try to close the breaker at the exact instant the voltages are in phase with each other (i.e., when the synchroscope is at 12 o'clock). By "anticipating" the time when the voltages will be in phase with each other and closing the breaker at that time the mechanical forces required to close the breaker contacts are at their lowest, reducing wear on the breaker closing mechanism. Also, when the voltages are in phase with each other the difference between incoming- and running voltage is lowest, which also reduces the wear on the breaker contact faces.

If I recall correctly, one uses the manufacturer's stated closing time in ToolboxST to set a fixed anticipation time to initiate the breaker close signal to try to close the breaker at the best possible time for the breaker and its closing mechanism.

I also believe that one can enable the Breaker Self-Adapt[ive] Correction feature to let the Mark VIe to monitor the time between when the close signal is initiated and when the breaker actually closes. THIS ONLY WORKS PROPERLY when the breaker status feedback to this feature comes directly from a breaker-mounted switch, not through an interposing relay or a mechanically-operated switch not mounted on the breaker. (The breaker closing mechanism also has to be a stored-energy type of mechanism.) This self-adapt[ive] correction feature can actually make small changes to the time the breaker close signal is initiated to try to match the actual closing time as closely as possible, if enabled. BUT, if enabled with an improper breaker status signal it can seriously hasten problems with the breaker closing mechanism and/or the breaker contacts (even with vacuum bottles).

So, the Mark VIe only uses this information to try to close the breaker at the best possible time. When the breaker actually closes after a close signal is sent isn't critical to the Mark VIe or turbine operation or the generator--it's only a feature that can be used to reduce the stress and wear on the breaker closing mechanism and the breaker contacts thereby improving the operating conditions for the breaker.

I don't recall if the features are set/changed in the PTUR or PPRO sections of ToolboxST. If I recall correctly, it's kind of "buried" in the settings, and one has to expand a few fields to get to the feature.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot CSA .

I checked the ToolBox settings. These are the settings.
K2S - Synch check aux time delay 2 Sec
K52GZ - Generator breaker close time delay.
K86S - Auto synch lock out time delay 0.5 Sec

But actual breaker close time much below this settings. Close time is 0.07 sec.
Can you further elaborate on this?

Mund123,

None of those are related to the self-adapt correction feature. As I said, one usually has to do a lot of digging in ToolboxST to find the settings. You might try looking where the generator breaker close output is defined.

I don't have a copy of ToolboxST--and a UPD (a USB Protective Device)--to look at to tell you exactly where to look. But, dig around. You may find it where the PTUR settings are (since that is related to the TRPG and the TTUR which is where some of the synchronizing stuff is located). Sorry--those UPDs are hard to find and to get people to part with. And VERY necessary to open any version of ToolboxST--even just install some newer versions.

Mund123,

The three values you listed were Control Constants. The fields you are looking for are not Control Constants, rather, they are commonly referred to as I/O Configuration Constants.

Control Constants are used in application code (sequencing; logic; programming); I/O Configuration Constants are used by I/O card functions. In this case, you're not looking for values associated with application code, but with I/O card functions--in this case, the function associated with energizing the relay which closes the contact(s) to close the generator breaker.