Cooling Towers ozonater, ionizer, magnets

J

Jim Collier

I am researching coolant tower technologies for treating the water in a closed loop system with a coolant tower. I've read about ozonaters, ionizers, and some magnetic systems (we curently use chemicals). I was looking for opinions and feedback on the advantages/disadvantages/myths of the various methods. Thanks, Jim

B

Bob Peterson

> Ozonators produce ozone, which quickly oxidizes in water. It is a > replacement for chlorine or chlorine compounds. Works pretty well, too. > Biocides and oxidizers work well. The key is to get the dissolved solids > level under control, and prevent biofouling. Dissolved solids are completely uneffected by any of these products. in fact they increase the level of dissolved solids. You can only reduce dissolved solids by replacing the water with fresh water, or removing the solids. And ozone has been known to eat things other then the little nastys you want it to eat. Most cooling tower problems seem to be caused by excessive chemical use and biofouling. replacing the water on a regular basis is the only real effective solution to many of the ct problems that exists, but is unpopular with chemical and water treatment equipment makers for some reason :). or you can continue to pump expensive chemicals into it. guess it really depends on how much water costs you. either way you will need something to kill the slime that inevitably will grow otherwise. > There is no evidence whatsoever that "magnetic treatments" for water work at > all. Snake oil of the highest water. I think you called that one right. At least for any serious treatment. The evidence of whether it is useful for home water systems is dubious at best, but there does seem to be some indication it might be at least partially effective. In other words, don't bet the farm on it. > Water treatment chemistry is tricky and you need somebody who really knows > what they are doing. There are lots of competent water treatment > professionals out there, from firms as large as US Filter/Culligan and Nalco > and Betz-Dearborn and Diversey to smaller regional firms and even one-person > local concerns. If you want a good recommendation for a water treatment > firm, call the local distributor for one of the large chemical metering pump > lines, such as Liquid Metronics/Milton Roy for example, and ask them. No doubt the sellers of equipment will be glad to sell you equipment and the sellers of chemicals will happily sell you chemicals and give you the pumping equipment for free. The tricky part comes from trying to avoid replacing the water that is now full of expensive chemcials. usually you will find that the "solution" involves even more expensive chemicals. > Walt Boyes > (who used to do that stuff too...) Bob Peterson (who still does that stuff, but stays away from cooling towers cause they smell bad and who is NOT an expert in cooling tower water treatment)

L

lee eng lock

i must say that most of the magnetic treatments i have seen have failed. but there are cases where it has worked, admittedly they might be outnumbered by the failures. the federal govt has got one of the national labs to look at this, and their report is surprising. look for the Federal Technology Alerts put out by the pacific northwest labs, PNL. rgds leelock

B

brian davison

Is the loop closed or open?
Open loops are the usual place for ozone. Ozone used without an ORP control is often hazardous to the system becausse of high oxidation potential. Seems to be quite effective on many biologicals.
Do magnets work or not? .... the simple answer is yes... the real question would be "for /or/on what do magnetic treatment work". My experience says there are places magnetic treatment has virtually stopped scaling. In another place with different chemical compostiton, the effect is much reduced. I know of no harm that can be produced by passing the water thru magnets, but by expecting the magnet treatment to do everything and stopping all the other treatment... "aint good". (can you spell disaster?)

Ionization... haven't seen /heard/ contacted this one.

For a treatment regimen to work it must control undesireables like corrosion, biofouling, scaling +(legionella). Each type of organism, scaling agent and water type will have a different profile for successful treatment. What I use here has been good for here, but not necesarily universally.

You didn't mention centrifugal separators, or filters in your investigation list. I installed lakos separators in sidestreams on my systems and cut tower sprayarm clogging by a large percentage.
good luck, brian. :)