Detection of foam through metal

Hi. I am working on a problem. Liquid foam is filled into metallic tubes (metal width about 1-2mm). However sometimes some space is not properly filled and some air is left inside the tube where foam is not properly filled. I want to detect if there is some space (air) is left inside the tube. What is options I can use to detect the air left inside through the metallic tube? Any guidance please

You have a metal tube, is it conductive?
Can you measure a change in capacitance (nF) of the tube with/without the foam? Maybe it is a dielectric. You could test with a multimeter that can measure capacitance (many Fluke meters can do this). But for a more accurate measurement you need a proper LCR meter, see: https://www.chromaate.com/en/products_list/lcr_meter_auto_transformer_test_system#nav_breadcrumb

If there is air in the foam the filling of the tube must be higher, can you try to detect the height of the foam after the filling with a radar sensor? Contact Vega.com, maybe they have something.

sahil3143
Welcome to Control Automation!
For your problem I suggest your contact Endresser+Hauser about their FMR63B instrument that detects heavy foam buildup!
Regards,
Phil Corso

An old school technique used in the die casting industry to detect excessive porosity or partial metal fill is to weigh the part. Assuming that the foam is heavier than air and you can weigh the tubes, then this technique might work for you.