Gas turbine combustion related problems

I am new to gas turbines and can some one give an idea that what are the common general problems comes in gas turbine and its troubleshooting.
I will be very much thankful to all of u.

Now here's a simple question if I've ever hear one.

NOT.

The most common problem I've encountered when traveling to (hundreds of) sites to help with troubleshooting gas turbine problems is: Incorrect perceptions. People believing the machine should do this or not do that and blaming the turbine control system for what turns out to be wiring problems, failed sensors, dirty hydraulic oil and poor maintenance and housekeeping.

THOSE are the most common general problems that come up in gas turbine troubleshooting.

If you're new to gas turbines, get copies of the gas turbine and auxiliary P&IDs (Process & Instrumentation Diagrams) and spend time reading the Operation & Maintenance Manuals, beginning with a quick scroll through them while making notes about the things you discover and where they are. When you're finished, you need to go through the list and prioritize the notes you made to go back and do some in-depth reading and studying. I GUARANTEE you will learn more than you ever thought you would. That's a moneyback guarantee (90 days); no questions asked.

Now here's a simple question if I've ever hear one.

NOT.

The most common problem I've encountered when traveling to (hundreds of) sites to help with troubleshooting gas turbine problems is: Incorrect perceptions. People believing the machine should do this or not do that and blaming the turbine control system for what turns out to be wiring problems, failed sensors, dirty hydraulic oil and poor maintenance and housekeeping.

THOSE are the most common general problems that come up in gas turbine troubleshooting.

If you're new to gas turbines, get copies of the gas turbine and auxiliary P&IDs (Process & Instrumentation Diagrams) and spend time reading the Operation & Maintenance Manuals, beginning with a quick scroll through them while making notes about the things you discover and where they are. When you're finished, you need to go through the list and prioritize the notes you made to go back and do some in-depth reading and studying. I GUARANTEE you will learn more than you ever thought you would. That's a moneyback guarantee (90 days); no questions asked.
Thanks a lot for ur valuable suggestion and support... i will sure follow the steps u defined.
Thanks once again.

@ahtisham khan,

If the machine you are working on is having combustion problems, we might be able to suggest some troubleshooting ideas IF you provide the following information:

MOST IMPORTANTLY: What Process Alarms are being annunciated when the machine is running and when the combustion problem is occurring? If the machine has a Mark* turbine control system, WHAT ARE THE ACTIVE DIAGNOSTIC ALARMS BEING ANNUNCIATED WHEN THE MACHINE IS RUNNING AND WHEN THE COMBUSTION PROBLEM IS OCCURRING?

(Process Alarms are those alarms related to the operation of the machine and its auxiliaries, such as combustion trouble, high vibration, low lube oil pressure, low fuel pressure, etc. Diagnostic Alarms are alarms related to the "health" of the turbine control system (unhealthy inputs; failed inputs; voting mismatches; disagreements between reference and actual positions; communications failures; printed circuit card failures; etc. And ALL alarms--Process and Diagnostic--are important when troubleshooting. Yes; alarm messages can be confusing and difficult to understand--but they are ALL important when troubleshooting. ALL. OF. THEM. ARE. IMPORTANT. ALWAYS.)

1) Type of combustion system (conventional, DLE or DLN-I, DLN-2, DLN-2.6, etc.)

2) Type of Machine (aeroderivative; heavy duty); provide as much information about the machine type, model number, etc. as you possibly can, including the application (generator drive; mechanical drive; etc.)

3) Make and model of turbine control system (if the turbine control system is a Mark* be as specific as possible--there are Mark* Vs, and Mark* Vs in various stages of impersonating a Mark* VIe; there are Mark* VI, Mark* VIe and Mark* VI Platform Upgrades (to Mark* VIe--so please be as specific as possible)

4) Fuel the machine is running on when it is having combustion trouble

5) Describe what has been done to troubleshoot the combustion trouble condition--AND WHAT THE RESULTS OF THE TROUBLESHOOTING WERE (not just, "Nothing we tried fixed the problem.")

6) Time since most recent maintenance outage and type of maintenance outage (CI (Combustion Inspection); HGPI (Hot Gas Path Inspection); MI (Major Inspection))

7) You can post (CLEAR) photos of the operator interface displays and Alarm Displays to posts on Control.com and that may be very helpful.

BE AWARE: We will probably ask more questions since we aren't there, we can't see or know what you see or know, and do not be offended if we ask if you've done something you've already done to troubleshoot the problem--because you haven't told us what has been done. If you could have solved the problem without writing to a World Wide Web forum for help and you feel what we are asking is not appropriate or irrelevant AGAIN we only know what you tell us and you haven't told us anything yet.

Finally, there are more than 20 years of GE-desigh heavy duty gas turbine troubleshooting posts here on Control.com. There is a magnifying glass at the top of every page of the Forum sections of Control.com, and it's fast and good. And, if you're killing time searching through past threads (using key words/terms in the Search feature) can and will be very informative. A lot of people write back to let others know what worked and what didn't when troubleshooting a problem--which makes many of the threads here extremely helpful, much more so than many other World Wide Forums. So, if you find the help and information you find here useful--even on older threads and posts--please write to let others know the information was useful (or not, as the case may be). But, the more information you can provide in your original post when writing for help the quicker and more concise the responses will be. Have a read of a few related threads (you can search using "combustion trouble" for example) and you will see some good examples (and LOTS of threads).

Help us to help you by providing information and answering questions when asked.

@ahtisham khan,

If the machine you are working on is having combustion problems, we might be able to suggest some troubleshooting ideas IF you provide the following information:

MOST IMPORTANTLY: What Process Alarms are being annunciated when the machine is running and when the combustion problem is occurring? If the machine has a Mark* turbine control system, WHAT ARE THE ACTIVE DIAGNOSTIC ALARMS BEING ANNUNCIATED WHEN THE MACHINE IS RUNNING AND WHEN THE COMBUSTION PROBLEM IS OCCURRING?

(Process Alarms are those alarms related to the operation of the machine and its auxiliaries, such as combustion trouble, high vibration, low lube oil pressure, low fuel pressure, etc. Diagnostic Alarms are alarms related to the "health" of the turbine control system (unhealthy inputs; failed inputs; voting mismatches; disagreements between reference and actual positions; communications failures; printed circuit card failures; etc. And ALL alarms--Process and Diagnostic--are important when troubleshooting. Yes; alarm messages can be confusing and difficult to understand--but they are ALL important when troubleshooting. ALL. OF. THEM. ARE. IMPORTANT. ALWAYS.)

1) Type of combustion system (conventional, DLE or DLN-I, DLN-2, DLN-2.6, etc.)

2) Type of Machine (aeroderivative; heavy duty); provide as much information about the machine type, model number, etc. as you possibly can, including the application (generator drive; mechanical drive; etc.)

3) Make and model of turbine control system (if the turbine control system is a Mark* be as specific as possible--there are Mark* Vs, and Mark* Vs in various stages of impersonating a Mark* VIe; there are Mark* VI, Mark* VIe and Mark* VI Platform Upgrades (to Mark* VIe--so please be as specific as possible)

4) Fuel the machine is running on when it is having combustion trouble

5) Describe what has been done to troubleshoot the combustion trouble condition--AND WHAT THE RESULTS OF THE TROUBLESHOOTING WERE (not just, "Nothing we tried fixed the problem.")

6) Time since most recent maintenance outage and type of maintenance outage (CI (Combustion Inspection); HGPI (Hot Gas Path Inspection); MI (Major Inspection))

7) You can post (CLEAR) photos of the operator interface displays and Alarm Displays to posts on Control.com and that may be very helpful.

BE AWARE: We will probably ask more questions since we aren't there, we can't see or know what you see or know, and do not be offended if we ask if you've done something you've already done to troubleshoot the problem--because you haven't told us what has been done. If you could have solved the problem without writing to a World Wide Web forum for help and you feel what we are asking is not appropriate or irrelevant AGAIN we only know what you tell us and you haven't told us anything yet.

Finally, there are more than 20 years of GE-desigh heavy duty gas turbine troubleshooting posts here on Control.com. There is a magnifying glass at the top of every page of the Forum sections of Control.com, and it's fast and good. And, if you're killing time searching through past threads (using key words/terms in the Search feature) can and will be very informative. A lot of people write back to let others know what worked and what didn't when troubleshooting a problem--which makes many of the threads here extremely helpful, much more so than many other World Wide Forums. So, if you find the help and information you find here useful--even on older threads and posts--please write to let others know the information was useful (or not, as the case may be). But, the more information you can provide in your original post when writing for help the quicker and more concise the responses will be. Have a read of a few related threads (you can search using "combustion trouble" for example) and you will see some good examples (and LOTS of threads).

Help us to help you by providing information and answering questions when asked.
U r such a nice person and hv aptimum level of knowledge. U took so much time to describe things in such a great manner, thanks a lot..
I m follwing ur initial instructions and getting so much things about gas turbines.
I will provide u the alarm details onece i will get.
Thanks once again for ur kind support.