Getting data from MARK V

R

Rayan

Hello,
I'm still student & I need help
I'd like to know if it's possible to connect a laptop with MARK V via RS232 connector & to know what are protocol to use.
the purpose is to get data from MARK V in order to realize a simulator of the starting sequence of a gas turbine
there are about 29 variables

thanks

Well, it can be done but you would need a LOT of setup instructions. One doesn't usually connect directly to the Mark V.

You have three options using the Mark V operator interface, and I presume it's an <I> for the purposes of this discussion. The <I> has a short term capability that is documented in the Mark V Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980. It will record data "in the background" and when you reach the end of the "start-up" and want to retrieve the data, you can open a command prompt window on the <I> and execute a command that will save the data to a file. That file can then be imported into a spreadsheet and massaged and manipulated any way you wish. I believe the fastest data capture rate is once per second, but that should me more than enough for a typical start-up sequence. For the Short Term Trend to work, the 'Options' section of F:\CONFIG.DAT must have a line in it that reads:

ST_TREND = YES

If you have to add the line to F:\CONFIG.DAT, you will need to re-boot the <I> for the change to take effect (or, just type RUN_IDP at any command prompt which will stop IDOS and re-start IDOS, so if the <I> is communicating with any DCS the data stream will stop for a couple of minutes while IDOS stops and re-starts).

I think there is some way to make more memory available for Short Term Trending, but I can't recall it exactly at this time, but for a start-up with 29 data points, you shouldn't need much memory.

There is also a tool that runs in the foreground called VIEW1.EXE, which is pretty simple to use and is also documented in the Maint. Manual. You can type VIEW1 /? at any command prompt window and get a help screen. It captures data at a once per second rate, also, and can save it to a data file which can also be imported to a spreadsheet and made usable.

Also, you could use serial MODBUS, documented in the Mark V Application Manual, GEH-6195. That could be a little more work if you're not familiar with MODBUS and if the <I> is already being used for MODBUS comm's.

If the operator interface is a GE Mark V HMI, you can use VIEW1 at any command prompt window just like with an <I>. I don't recall if the HMIs have the Short Term Trend capability, but they do have some CIMPLICITY trending capability and I believe that CIMPLICITY can save the data captured to a file, which can be imported into a spreadsheet. So, you could set up a CIMPLICITY trend and then save the data to a file.

Hope this helps!