How many of you see need/were asked for advanced control?

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I read and article about Honewell's Multivariable Predictive controller bringing 3% more efficient boiler control so I wonder if you ever consider stuff like MPC, Fuzzy control, Adaptive tunning or thereis no time, authorisation and resources for that ?
Is it going to come in the future of industrial controls and is it going to be possible to tottaly shrink comissioning time through use
of Process simulators like Samba from Siemens?
(how can one find the tunning parameters through simulation&how dod you do it anyway?)
Thanks\

MA

D

david mertens

Hi,
In my experience, MPV's and APC is mainly used on top of the conventional control and not in stead of. Advanced control techniques usuqlly offer a faster transition between grades and more efficiency in running the equipment. Even a small increase in production of 0.5% can mean millions of dollars for a refinery or steam cracker. In that part of the industry APC has become standard, now it is moving to the rest of the chemical production and as experience grows it will not stop there but evenually become a standard tool in all control systems. However I don't think it will ever be possible to fine tune an APC controller without being connected to the real plant. The whole point of using APC is to determine the real world dynamics of the equipment and then to use this knowledge to better control the proces. If the dynamics are well known then the installation of an APC is trivial. The biggest job in setting up an APC is to detremine these dynamics under various process conditions and during transitions. This leads to a mathematical model of the process. This can be used by the APC controller but also to simulate the process for educational purposes like training new operators, trainingand improving contingency plans, etc...