Hybrid Control Systems

B

B Williams

We have a project coming up where we want to install a Hybrid Control System in our Gas Plant to replace the existing Mod 3 System. Can anyone give me their experience with Honeywell Experion, Delta V and Matrix Total Control Systems? Any input would be appreciated.

D
We've installed the DeltaV for our plants in the US, but the Honeywell Plantscape and Experion in Europe.

Both systems handle our process very well.

Our decision to go with DeltaV initially in the States was because our first migration project was from PLC control to DeltaV, and we already had Emerson’s RS3 in the plant - so Emerson was already supporting the plant. However, we’ve found that the support has been ‘iffy’ at best (mainly due to high turnover rate), so we’ve contracted an outside configuration company with great success. We continue to install the DeltaV to keep conformity between the plants in the US.

We chose Honeywell in Europe because we felt they would offer better support, and they have.

I feel honeywell Plantscape or experion systems are now a days becoming more popular in industry. I have used the plantscape and foxboro. The difference being is that plantscape is easy to configure and it is a plug and play kind of a system. And if you go for experion then it is having large variety now a days coming up. Now they have come up with Honeywell field Device configurator. HFDCDM for HART devices, which doesn't require any extra hardware. it fetches data from experion server itself.

regards,
Japan

I would not overlook Honeywell's HC900. Although Honeywell is well known for the DCS systems and support of their products the new HC900 is a Hybrid controller platform that competes well with PLC's pricing but gives the same block type programming as the DCS platforms mentioned. The big advantage is its 1/4 the price. Redundancy is due out at the end of the year making it a very suitable replacement for many DCS type applications.

[email protected]

John

B

Bart Schaminee

I would go for DeltaV as it easier to integrate and has a very strong HART and Foundation Fieldbus concept with PlantWeb-alerts (alerts from the field to warn you for abnormal situations).

DeltaV is proven and installed at many places now. Easy to implement and to maintain.

Experion is not a bad system, but is still based on a cleint-server technology and the Rockwell Hardware.

Service has a price and will be paid.

My advise is: Make a good spec. of what you want and ask for a budget quote.

If you need a example of a spec., write me an e-mail.

Kindest regards,
Bart
process @planet.nl

M

Muhammad Tariq Shafi

My opinion: Honeywell hybrid control is excellent
I have commission two projects with honeywell plantscape release 400 with 1000 points (old version of expirion) in Pakistan both for chemical plant (Caustic soda Plant) and I found this very good in programming because there are very complicated programming involved plus there are about more than 100 PID (some loops are very critical for the delta pressure and flow control of Hydrogen and chlorine ratio and even we have using there Butterfly valves instead of Glob valves but PID control is excellent) and it has very good schemes for HMI development, trending (with a big history achieving as you can), alarms, event recording. However it is more complicated in installation but ones you go through it becomes a piece of cake.