I/O Card without HART Capabilities

Hi,

I'm going to suggest you add some information. What model of PLC are you using? And a description of what type of installation or factory you are in would help people give you a better answer.

Regards,
Peg, One of Your Friendly Moderators

>I am installing a high speed IO card, but it doesn't have HART
>capabilities. Which solutions do I have to avoid this problem? Only
>handheld? Use of two IO cards?

It is not clear what you are trying to accomplish and what you expect HART to do for your application, or what problem you anticipate from the lack of HART. The 4-20mA signal is always there, so why do you even need HART?

HART is inherently a 'slow' communications protocol, rarely used for processes that need even moderately paced updates. HART works OK for storage tank levels that don't change quickly.

If you need a 2nd or 3rd variable, then you can get one of those break-out boxes, like the Moore HIM module that acts as a HART master, polls the field device and then creates a separate analog output for 2nd, 3rd or 4th variables, of course, with analog updates at HART polling/update rates.

>I am installing a high speed IO card, but it doesn't have
>HART capabilities. Which solutions do I have to avoid this
>problem? Only handheld? Use of two IO cards?

A high-speed card for machinery control and protection will have a sub 1 msec to 10 msec scan rate. So HART will add no value being not fast enough.

We need more info on the application, what DCS or PLC hardware and what equipment or system is it for.

good luck