Incident/Explosion in Power plant

Good day,

Here some sad news from India (Bengaluru) ,...https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/2020/oct/03/gas-turbine-explodes-at-power-plant-15-injured-2205164.html
A dramatic explosion happened in a power plant ..

I leave you read the article then we can discuss of this event & what can be RCA ...?

Staff is saying that lube oil bearing leakage is the RCA... some other peole don't trust such affirmations, and suspecting Gas leak ...

What is your opionions..

ControlsGuy25....
Having been a defendant in a similar event... only it was an 800-MW plant firing natural gas. Fortunately no-one was hurt, but the 8-story plant was brought to earth (see attachment). I can tell you supposition at this time is a waste of time. Such events take a long time, years actually, to find the cause.
But from a legal standpoint they go after defendants with big pockets! In my case the plant-owner was held accountable for 60% and the controls company 40% ! The latter because of an omission of one simple action in their operations manual ! Thankfully, the claim against me was dropped !
Now get this, the initiating event was a leaking toilet.
Ps... By law I am not permitted to discuss the case publicly!
Regards, Phil Corso

Attachments

ControlsGuy25....
Having been a defendant in a similar event... only it was an 800-MW plant firing natural gas. Fortunately no-one was hurt, but the 8-story plant was brought to earth (see attachment). I can tell you supposition at this time is a waste of time. Such events take a long time, years actually, to find the cause.
But from a legal standpoint they go after defendants with big pockets! In my case the plant-owner was held accountable for 60% and the controls company 40% ! The latter because of an omission of one simple action in their operations manual ! Thankfully, the claim against me was dropped !
Now get this, the initiating event was a leaking toilet.
Ps... By law I am not permitted to discuss the case publicly!
Regards, Phil Corso
PhilCorso,

Thank you for your post & comments ...

Is that incident you are reffering is described here :
http://www.ibew1613.org/library/hawthorn.html
Also looks like this plant also experienced a Transformer explosion in 2016..
I will not discuss on this no more as you stated because of case publicy..
By the way it is always great to share and discuss on works experience with Experienced people like we are !

This event in India power plant seems very interesting , since Staff is pointing lube oil leakeage..and Some others people claiming that lube oil leakeage should been detected prior to run /operates & load the unit..
For these people , only gas leakeage can make such dramatic damges on equipments..

ControlsGuy25.

ControlsGuy25. . .
Additional Info:
1) Yes ! That's the one. In fact you can search for it in Control.com Archives under KCP&L or file # 984585006 !
2) The Original Gas-Fired plant (I think main fuel valve was 30") used Energize-To-Trip logic that contradicted the standard at the time for gas-fired plants, which was Denergize-To-Trip logic.
3) Plant blew up in 1999. I knew nothing about it. Then in 2002, still unaware of the catastrophe, I was invited to the site to participate in a group-study to "improve the plant's safety system"! I immediately thought of logic conversion. Happily, I went only to find a cadre of Lawyers, Engineers, Experts, Techs, Specials, etc, wanting to know "Why did your component cause the plant to blow up"! That meeting ended up with the whole group visiting my facility in Florida, of-course, during Super-Bowl week!
4) The final court hearing requiring my input was in 2005 . We were completely exonerated ! Unfortunately it didn't lower our legal fees $
Regards, Phil

One of the engineers that sustained burns has passed away. I think it’s going to be a while until the RCA is complete. Given the location of the fire... lube oil leak or a gas leak are both possibilities.

One of the engineers that sustained burns has passed away. I think it’s going to be a while until the RCA is complete. Given the location of the fire... lube oil leak or a gas leak are both possibilities.
Yes it seems that one enginnerr succombed to his injuries....
Thanks for sharing informations on such dramatic accident ...