Instrumentation and Control Certificate

T

Tharwat

Is there a mandatory certificate that Instrumentation and control engineer should have to be recognized internationally?

R
Is there even such an animal?

I have never seen an Instrument Engineer as such.
I have seen Electrical Engineers that specialize in controls.

W
No. Because the profession of automation is highly interdisciplinary, and covers several bodies of knowledge, there is no global certification and most countries do not mandate certification. I strongly recommend ISA's Certified Control Systems Technician (CCST) and Certified Automation Professional (CAP) certifications, however. They cover the bodies of knowledge necessary, and while not mandatory, they certainly can't hurt your career chances. Visit www.isa.org for information.

Walt Boyes

Walt Boyes, Life Fellow, ISA; Fellow InstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Spitzer and Boyes LLC
www.spitzerandboyes.com

**Spitzer and Boyes LLC publishes the Industrial Automation and Process Control INSIDER (www.iainsider.com)**

The scope of practice for an engineering, technologist, technician, or trades professional varies from country to country.

Internationally recognized, accredited technology or engineering programs from technical colleges and universities are normally the only mandatory certification required prior to starting work. See the Sydney Accord, Washington Accord, and Dublin Accord for lists of countries and programs that are recognized.

In Canada, Instrumentation and Control is typically considered a specialization of an Electrical program. This means that an electrical engineer can include Instrumentation and Control as his scope of work if s/he has prior experience, or coursework. Also, as a note, the title of Engineer is protected by law.

D

David Ferguson

> Is there even such an animal?

There is......

NICET has a very good certification and

ISA had a CCST Certified ControlSystems Tech

And a CAP Certified Automation Professiinal

As a few Controls Engineering degrees out there.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone

The scope of practice for an engineering, technologist, technician, or trades professional varies from country to country.

Internationally recognized, accredited technology or engineering programs from technical colleges and universities are normally the only mandatory certification required prior to starting work. See the Sydney Accord, Washington Accord, and Dublin Accord for lists of countries and programs that are recognized.

In Canada, Instrumentation and Control is typically considered a specialization of an Electrical program. This means that an electrical engineer can include Instrumentation and Control as his scope of work if s/he has prior experience, or coursework. Also, as a note, the title of Engineer is protected by law.
Hello, I am going to work in this field in Canada soon and I'm thinking what certification to get, ASET or APEGA? Or do I really need to get certified at all?