Interface level measurement

A

A.K.Hait

I am planning to use capacitance type level transmitter to measure oil & water interface level in an offshore inlet separator tank. So far I have used either displacer or diaphragm seal DP for this application. I would like to share the experience of people who has field experience about this application. Is there any problem with this application? What are the precautions I have to take? How is the performance from individual experience?

Theoretically I don't see any problem. Range is approx. 1700 mm. Permitivity of oil is approx. 2 and water approx. 30, so the capacitance change is quite large over a 3" stand pipe to mount the probe.

I will be really thankful to get the confidence from real life experience.

Dear sir,

If your seperator is full of both water & oil, displacer and dp cell work properly but dp cell makes a small error because of density change due to floating oil particles in water or inverse.
But if you have some varing empty space in top of separetor or maybe happened, therefore you cannot use both level alone. In this case is purpose using two level measuring devices together. 1.radar level 2. dp cell. I use them and take good result.