Motion Control extended cables

B

ben butin

Hi everybody. I am a newcomer to this list and I hope that I am staying within protocol with my request.

I am adding a fifth axis to my Mocon system.
Presently I have pan tilt zoom and focus functions which will perform camera moves in Time-lapse or real time cinematography. I am adding an 18 foot dolly function and need 22 foot cables. Here lies the problem.

The original cables - 15 feet long connecting servo drives to DC motors are a custom made cable containing 6 internal shielded wires 25ga & 1 drain (information carriers) and 5 connector wires 22ga with overall shield and 5 drains in overall jacket (the power carriers). The company which supplied me with the original cables is no longer in business and I cannot find a maker or a supplier of such cable.

Any information where to obtain such cable would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Ben Butin
Cinematographer
770-393-4779
[email protected]
www.benbutin.com

just my $0.02: take two cables, one power one data, and cross-tape them together. this i done by laying the cables next to each other and then taping with narrow thin strong tape. works a treat and is very easy to make. Much cheaper also!

mark

You can buy almost any cable and connectors from companys like alliedelec.com, newark.com or digikey.com. I like to use fiberglass resin, used for automotive camper repair. Slide a plastic (PVC) pipe onto the wire tape one end pour resin into the other, let it cure. It comes in a 1 gallon and a tube of hardner. You got a unremovable, waterproof and untamperable connection.

PS:: The automotive industry also has a brushon rubber like wire insulation; but I cannot find it.