Need Modbus interface for Windows C++ app

G

Greg Huntzinger

We have purchased a temperature controller for a test fixture. The temperature controller interface is serial Modbus. We want to run the temperature controller from the same Windows C++ application that manages the other functions of the test fixture.

I need to find the easiest, fastest way to get this working. The activeX components that I've seen for sale seem like real over-kill and a big pain to link with using straight C/C++ (non-MFC). The component guys only seem to supply VB sample apps, too.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Greg

Have you looked at SMRX at www.sapia-inc.com? You can download a fully functioning demo that includes samples for VC++ applications. SMRX is an ActiveX control. There is a VC++ example in the online help showing how to use it without embedding it onto a form. You should be up and talking Modbus/RTU within minutes.

H

Henrik W Maier

If you after straight C++ and want to implement a master just with a few lines of code like:

int result; short dataArr[10];
MbusRtuMasterProtocol mbusProtocol;

result = mbusProtocol.openProtocol("COM1", 9600, 8, 1, 0);
result = mbusProtocol.readMultipleRegisters(1, 100,
dataArr, sizeof(dataArr) / 2);
mbusProtocol.closeProtocol();

then you should have a look at FieldTalk Master Protocol Pack at
www.focus-sw.com.

Henrik W Maier
FOCUS Software Engineering Pty Ltd
Contract Software Development - FieldTalk Modbus Protocols
Brisbane, Australia - http://www.focus-sw.com

G

Greg Huntzinger

Henrik,

Thanks for your reply. What you describe is the sort of thing that I'm looking for. However, your price list only shows the QNX, Linux, and Java versions. As I said, I'm looking for Microsoft Windows (Win 2000).

Thanks anyway,

Greg

G

Greg Huntzinger

Thanks, I've seen this site mentioned here before. I'd like to point out that both times I've tried to get there, the site cannot be found.

Greg