Need Typical Design

Hi Guys,

We have 4 Generators need to connect by synchronization together in one busbar and we have 4 Loads (Each load has one circuit breakers) , there are 2 deign need to fixed which one the typical, the first one is put all the generators in one side (like the left side) and the loads in the other side (at the right), the second design is put the first generator in the left then the first load (beside the 1st generator) then the second generator then the second load then the third generator then the third load then the fourth generator then the fourth load, i.e. ( distribute the loads between the generators), knowing that we don't have national grid, i.e. we have just one source consists of 4 generators and 4 loads.

Eng.Musaab...
Welcome to Control.com!
Presuming this is a short-lived, one-time project, with limited cost but without future concern, I suggest an SLD consisting of a single buss-bar line up, with one pair of Generator CB's on left-side, the other pair on right-side, and the 4 Load CB's between the 2 pair!
Additional detail can be given If you provide Voltage-available, Genset-type and size, Load type, size, and duty, i.e., continuous, intermittent, 24-hr, 12-hr, etc.
Regards, Phil Corso

Eng.Musaab...
Welcome to Control.com!
Presuming this is a short-lived, one-time project, with limited cost but without future concern, I suggest an SLD consisting of a single buss-bar line up, with one pair of Generator CB's on left-side, the other pair on right-side, and the 4 Load CB's between the 2 pair!
Additional detail can be given If you provide Voltage-available, Genset-type and size, Load type, size, and duty, i.e., continuous, intermittent, 24-hr, 12-hr, etc.
Regards, Phil Corso

Dear Mr.Phil,

Thank you so much for your valued reply.

First let me know your answers depend on your experience or do you have certification for sync system design from any of the manufacturers that produce sync controllers or do you have both?

Could you please inform me which the parameters influence on the design of the panel and the location of the synch. controllers, generators, loads and the other issues ? I want to make an excel sheet mention all the parameters which influence on the design of the panel.

Eng.Musaab...
I'm sorry but I'm neither a manufacturer nor a salesperson for a manufacture of the equipment you seek.
I'm an Electrical Engineering Consultant with some 60+ years of experience! I mistakenly thought you needed help with equipment layout, not system components.
Stay Well, Regards, Phil Corso

The only parameter I can see that would influence the design is to minimise the current through the different sections of the busbar. To work this out you need to supply the power rating of the generators and loads as well as typical usage pattern of the generators and loads. Layout of design should have no effect on synch controllers.

Eng.Musaab...
I'm sorry but I'm neither a manufacturer nor a salesperson for a manufacture of the equipment you seek.
I'm an Electrical Engineering Consultant with some 60+ years of experience! I mistakenly thought you needed help with equipment layout, not system components.
Stay Well, Regards, Phil Corso
Dear Mr.Phil,

Thank you again for your reply and your answers, I'm a grateful for your help and do the efforts to provide me your experience on this field of electrical engineering, I very appreciate for that. My question is focus on technical issue not commercial, I'm asking on the typical design for the synch. panel, so I just want to know what's the parameters required to know so as to choice the ideal design for the panel. I think this is a technical question not commercial. You mentioned some of them which is ( Voltage-available, Genset-type and size, Load type, size, and duty, i.e., continuous, intermittent, 24-hr, 12-hr), so is there any other parameters should know ?

Finally, I'm feeling a proud to contact person has more than 60 years of experience.

The only parameter I can see that would influence the design is to minimise the current through the different sections of the busbar. To work this out you need to supply the power rating of the generators and loads as well as typical usage pattern of the generators and loads. Layout of design should have no effect on synch controllers.
Hi Sir,

Thank you for your reply, when we should the AGC in the panel and when we should use the same ECU as 2 in one, i.e. when we can use the ECU of the generators to make the first target which is the protection of the generators and the other target which is make the synchronization process between the generators ?

@ Eng.Musaab...
Q1. Has anything been purchased already?
Q2. Are you obligated to use 4 Gensets?
Q3. Are the 4 Loads equal in size and demand
Q4. Are you hampered by cost, space, or time for the total installation?
Regards, Phil Corso

@ Eng.Musaab...
Q1. Has anything been purchased already?
Q2. Are you obligated to use 4 Gensets?
Q3. Are the 4 Loads equal in size and demand
Q4. Are you hampered by cost, space, or time for the total installation?
Regards, Phil Corso
Hi Mr.Phil,

Below the answers:

Q1. Has anything been purchased already? No
Q2. Are you obligated to use 4 Gensets? Yes
Q3. Are the 4 Loads equal in size and demand? No, they are different
Q4. Are you hampered by cost, space, or time for the total installation? No

May be will add the national grid to the panel in the future, because there is no national grid feeder yet.

Eng.Musaab...
Now I'm very curious. My suggestion was going to be:
o Shorter Switchgear line-up;
o 7 symmetrically arranged Breaker Cubicles, instead of 8;
o 3 Gensets, instead of 4;
o 3 Sets of Synchronizing Gear, instead of 4;
o 3 Sets of Genset Protection Gear instead of 4;
o The larger the Genset, the lower the cost per kW.
This is the first time in 62 years of involvement with Elec Power Investigations and Projects that the number of Gensets was a project's starting point!
Eng.Musaab, if you don't want to reveal why on this forum please contact me at [email protected]!
Regards, Phil Corso