PCI Card Design

U

Ubtrefkou

Hello everybody,

I have made an ADC/DAC card to sit iin ISA slot in pc. Since not all pc's have ISA slot I'm trying to rebuild it to reside in PCI slot, but I don't know how to do it. Any comment or information is appreciated.

C

Curt Wuollet

I have seen slot adapters someplace when I was digging for information to do a PCI card interface, Google would be your friend here. I got some hits with PCI to ISA adapter.

Regards
cww

R

Robert Scott

ISA-bus cards can use simple fixed I/O addresses set by jumpers or dip switches. PCI-bus cards are much more complicated. They participate in a little dance with the operating system in which I/O addresses are dynamically assigned and in which system-level device drivers are located. Unless you are willing to become proficient in writing kernel mode device drivers, forget about making your own PCI-bus card. There are plenty COTS devices from which to choose already.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Embedded Systems Consulting

C

Curt Wuollet

I mostly agree with Robert here, PCI makes rolling your own a lot more complicated. But I would be a little less bleak. In the OSS world there are many, many, examples to learn from and you know there are lots of people doing it. To start with working examples with source code is a _lot_ easier than starting with a specification and some chips, I have even allowed it is within my capabilities, if I can only find the time. Working through 5 or 6 examples would get you close enough to start hacking if you have the background. Right now I'm kinda hung up on seeing if SDIO on the Marvell Plug computer would be viable as an automation "backplane" bus.

Regards
cww

Thanks a lot for the replies. Still I'm wandering around for a clear solution. I have done many searches in yahoo and google with no result. If anybody knows a certain reference please tell me. I think this is the question of many others.

Regards

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi

You should perhaps give google another try. I have found the information you seek as I wanted to find out how to build and support PCI cards. You won't find a step by step Howto, but the information is out there. Looking at the source code for the many PCI drivers available will go a long ways towards practical knowledge of how things PCI work.

Regards
cww

K

Ken Emmons Jr.

Hello,

Check out these guys:

http://www.plxtech.com/products/io/

I think once upon a time I wrote an RTAI (kernel only) "driver" for a third party IO board that used one of these chips. I did not design the hardware but the programming in the linux kernel was not that bad.

I believe these chips provide a simple address and data bus that you can use to map to your IO hardware. The PCI interface is taken care of.

KEJR

Dear sir,

I have a question about Designing PCI Card for computer. Can you help me about it?

Best regards
M.S

Dear sir,

I have a question about Designing PCI Card for computer. Can you help me about it?

Best regards
M.S