RSLogix 500, Ver 2.57 fails on Vista

J

James

Got new Vista PC and trying to install RSLogix 500, ver 2.57.00, no success. it was working fine with XP and I dont wanna go back with XP anymore.

I transferred the activation to a floppy disk and would like to use it on my Vista machine.

Any suggestions? don't wanna buy new RSLogix license for Vista.

D

DAVE FERGUSON

I have not heard of any license for Vista.............may be confusing with Factorytalk licensing (or I may just be un-informed).

Last I looked..........90+ % of the Rockwell software was not supported on Vista. There is a conformance document on their web site that shows what is compatable with what.

Dave Ferguson

Control Systems Engineer
Blandin Paper Company
115 SW 4th Street
Grand Rapids, Mn 55744

T

Trevor Ousey

Are you sure you have the right version number? RSLogix 500 is above 8.0 now, but they have started using the new FT activations now, but I think it will still support the old EVRSI activation. I know installs that have worked in Vista, the biggest issue has been getting RSLinx to work. There are no drivers for the PCMCIA cards from Rockwell.

Sorry but I would choose XP over Vista every time, but new notebooks with XP are hard to come by.

J

James Ingraham

It is probably unreasonable to expect being able to run a program that is 6 versions out of date. I would start by getting the latest version (8.10.00, I believe).

Having said that, all the usual tricks apply, namely
1) Try various compatability mode options.
2) Make sure you "Run as Administrator"

Failing that, you're down to using a virutal machine, which has it's own share of problems and headaches (plus the fact that you'll be running it in XP, which you said you don't want to use any more.)

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

If you use a version 8.xx RSLogix 500. it requires Factory Talk as your license. But if you change your PC's date to before 2008 it can still use the old master disk licenses.

So you might be lucky and RSLogix version 7.xx works with vista. Or RSLogix version 8.xx with the PC's data turned back.

How about, a recent PC + Vista + VMWare Workstation + Windows XP + RSLogix 500.

How is the PC connected with PLC. This option works reliably only with Ethernet connection.

Regards,
Tomy Zacharia
DM (T&I)

T

Trevor Ousey

If you use a VM then you can also use serial and USB as well. The Rockwell USB to DH485 adapter works, as well as the DH+ adapter.

C

Curt Wuollet

Microsoft hasn't bothered to make Vista work on Vista yet. They're already writing it off and going to "Windows 7". Bet that makes the Guinea Pigs (aka early adopters) happy.

Regards
cww

J

James Ingraham

bob peterson: "Not sure AB has bothered to make any of its products work on Vista yet."

I haven't tried RSLogix 500 in Vista, but I'm betting it works. It is true that Vista is not listed in 500's system requirements:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix500/sysreq.html

However, five THOUSAND does specifically list Vista, both Home and Business, as a supported OS:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/360807/1837528/tab2.html

I personally use RSL5K and FactoryTalk View ME on a daily basis in Vista Business 64-bit edition.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

B

Brian Boothe

2.54 - 2.57 only Supports XP (Not SP3) Vista has been tried But Not to Successfully, Ver 2.54 - 2.57 Does not support DH485 and PIC. AB is trying to get way far away from all that legacy old "crap" ---- thank God. rip out all your old crap from the 70's and 80's "use Ethernet -"get up to date! (simple)

J

James Ingraham

cww: "Microsoft hasn't bothered to make Vista work on Vista yet."

As amusing as this comment is (and it did make me smile) I actually disagree. I use Vista at work and XP at home. and every time I sit down at my XP machine I find myself liking Vista better.

cww: "They're already writing it off and going to "Windows 7". Bet that makes the Guinea Pigs (aka early adopters) happy."

Microsoft did say they were going to speed up the releases between operating systems, and that the huge time gap between XP and Vista was a mistake.

I'm about to put a Windows Vista machine (actually four of them) on the plant floor for HMIs. Not my choice. I would much rather use a dedicated HMI ala PanelView Plus or Magelis. But it will work and the operators won't really know the difference. It's only the maintenance people who will have headaches if there's a machine failure. The failure isn't Windows's fault, it's just that getting a Windows machine up and running is a royal pain.

I guess I've digressed from the original discussion, haven't I?

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

In reply to James Ingraham: You said - "the huge time gap between XP and Vista was a mistake."

It wasn't so much a "mistake" as simply bad corporate and project management. The first version of Vista had to be scrapped and the project started over again from the beginning. The first version of the software was such a disaster that the top management at Microsoft finally had to admit that it would never get out the door. What was finally release as Vista was MS Windows Server 2003 with some of the features which were salvaged from the wreckage glued on top. That included the revised GUI, DRM, and the changes in the driver interface (which was done to support the DRM). That got shoved out the door (ready or not) several years after the scheduled release date.

MS Windows 7 is being released on the normal schedule, but then again they aren't really changing much from MS Vista. The changes are mainly cosmetic (and branding) with a few minor new features. Microsoft normally plans on a new release roughly every two years (for revenue reasons). MS Vista took nearly three times as long because they basically had to do it twice (and scrap the first attempt).

Microsoft is a very closed organisation, and not a lot of information leaks out. However, there have been a few articles written by people who saw how things went from the inside, and it is a good example of how *not* to run a large software project (or any sort of project). A lot of the reasons for failure are still in place today, so the version of MS Windows following "7" could quite easily turn into the same fiasco as Vista.

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi James

That sounds a bit like "Damning with faint praise" but I suspect our definitions of "working" merely differ. I will say my call volume has definitely increased with the onslaught of Vista on the business
sector.

That would be a good sign, but I'm a Linux consultant. Not many want to make the leap to working just yet. Most just want me to do something about Vista. I've considered getting into the "upgrade to XP" business, but my heart wouldn't really be in it and it delays the inevitable, which may come when they figure out that Windows 7 is a stripped version of Vista with some of the cruft removed. That does improve their upgrade cycle and gets them another revenue bump, but the people I've been hearing aren't at all pleased with the idea of paying for the fix for Vista. I'm sure they'll fall in line though, they always do. I don't understand why, but they do. If anyone else treated them that way they would be out with torches and pitchforks.

Regards
cww

D

DAVE FERGUSON

12 years and running on the Microsoft bashing. I am getting close to retiring after making a great LIVING working with mostly Microsoft products and solutions that WORK with them. Using the TOOL to produce useful stuff just fine. Without all of the FUD. On to year 13, maybe this will be the one that Linux takes over the world. Watching eagerly and then I will make money with that.

Dave Ferguson
Control Systems Engineer

D

DAVE FERGUSON

Easy to point fingers, I want to see any one of you try to run a software project the size of Vista and pull it off. Do you have any idea the lines of code that were written and the coordination that it takes. And the number of users that are pounding and attacking it on a regular basis. Easy to point fingers, but lets see you pull it off.

Dave Ferguson
Control Systems Engineer

C

Curt Wuollet

With Microsoft's resources, I am certain I could produce a reliable, highly functional operating system. Given that opportunity, I am equally certain Vista is not what I would produce. I think Vista achieves the intended goals. After all, they will get 90% of computer users to buy yet another product from them. Whether, and how well it works seems to be rather immaterial to that goal. You've made money along the way, be happy. Some of us probably have different goals, or at least, how we make money is important. I could make money selling crack. My particular thing seems to be using the best tools to make the most efficient solutions.

It's sorta like that IBM commercial for Linux. Yes, you can run a company with a room full of servers and a crew to run around booting and reloading them. And a person to audit and control licenses and track usage. Or you can accomplish the same thing with one blade server and one admin. Microsoft makes a lot more money one way,
the company makes a lot more money the other. Which is the better solution kinda depends on who you are, and who you are working for.

Why doing automation should require a tithe to Microsoft is the question. They don't add anything that you can't get elsewhere. And their products are less and less suitable with each version for the purpose. Their cost vs value added is ridiculous. But, somehow that doesn't matter. People scrutinize each and every expense, except the MS tax. That's what bothers me. Nothing else I do requires them. I have many choices on every other technical task, but they get a cut on every automation project. Why should this be?

Regards
cww

D

DAVE FERGUSON

MODERATORS NOTE: Ok guys we've had enough arguing about Micorsoft and Linux. Before this erupts into a full scale war, I'm pulling the plug. This thread was originally about RSLogix and Vista. If you have any helpful advice, I'll post it. One thing I know for sure Microsoft and Linux users will never agree to disagree.

SO obviously every other well educated person out there must be WRONG. The fact is that everyone uses Microsoft because everyone else uses Microsoft and the hastle of converting formats etc. is not worth the time nor effort. As far as the IBM commercial goes, good hype but not the truth, we do not have a "team of people rebooting servers" as you put it. Give me a break.

Dave Ferguson
Control Systems Engineer