Should we use C/C++ for implementing SCADA

R

rainer

Do we need programming skills for SCADA development?

Some years ago web pages had been build in plain HTML. No real programming skills were needed. But today there are a lot of web pages using the script language PHP. Also JavaScript is used within the browser.

What is the situation in SCADA systems?

Is it flexible enough doing everything graphically without the need of programming skills?

Or would it be better to use standard programming languages. Either Script languages or compiled languages.

Who is creating a SCADA system?
Does he/she have programming skills?

B

Brian E Boothe

I work as a Programmer for a Industrial Automation Company, and do all Our Intranet and website Programming. Also I am Allen Bradley certified in many areas so I do Logix5000 / RSViewSE as well, and I've created many useful utilities for our company in C/C++ / Delphi and Visual Basic.

We do web server Jobs now and again for our Scada using ADS (Active Display), and there again here I am. In my opinion knowing just ladder logic in today's Industries is cutting it way too short in your Company's horizon.

A

Alfredo Espinosa

In my personal opinion, it's absolutely necessary to known at least C/C++ or VB.

Because if not, you only can develop a SCADA system using the basic configuration options. If you need more functionality, it's necessary to program using some language.

Alfredo Espinosa Reza

B

Brian E Boothe

In the company I work for, I have developed a few Printer utilities and a lot of VB & VBA Logging reporting/OPC Software. But as far as strict control, It's a HUGE MAJOR Insurance liability for in-house Code or hardware to run Processes. As far as my boss is concerned, we're not even stepping into that arena, so we charge our customers 20,000 per software SCADA Installs Project RSVIEW, etc.

N

Nathan Boeger

This largely depends on your system requirements. The tradeoff is typically money for time and programming skills. By that I mean, it's possible to develop a killer SCADA app in C++. This requires significant expertise that you likely won't be able to learn overnight. Custom written projects have advantages over "off the shelf" solutions, but also tend to take significantly longer to develop, even for skilled programmers (VERY dependent on project).

SCADA packages specialize in being able to create a graphical package without the need to program - that said, as your requirements get more and more specific and difficult, there will always be some limiting point where you'll need to "program" or "script" within the SCADA package, then later a theoretical point where you won't be able to accomplish your task at all within that package. Where this comes in, if ever, depends on the package that you're using and your project requirements. SCADA vendors have done a pretty good job encompassing the scope of typical graphical control applications.

If you're new to programming, you will always get the most bang for your buck developing controls applications with a SCADA package. But you will have to pay for commercial packages.

----
Nathan Boeger
Inductive Automation - Total SCADA Freedom
"Design Simplicity Cures Engineered Complexity"

I asked my initial question because we run the Open Source project
http://pvbrowser.org

It is a framework for SCADA, written in C/C++. There is a special SCADA Browser you can use. You will have to write your server only.

As I can see from your response C/C++ programming is familiar to many people in our area.

Please have a look at our wiki at
http://pvbrowser.de/home/mediawiki/index.php/En:pvbrowser_manual

I would like to hear from you if this approach is interesting to you. As said: You need basic C programming knowledge!