Sunspec standard through basic modbus communication

Hello,

I am working on a modbus communication device and stumbled upon Sunspec compliant devices that I need to communicate with.
To be more precise, I am working with solar inverters and in order to communicate with them, sometimes, the manufacturer provides a register map for modbus communication. So I have all the register needed to poll my inverters and retrieve the values I want. But it's different with Sunspec.
Does anyone know a bit about sunspec?

I know it is a standard way of storing data in certain registers. So any sunspec compliant device has a standard register map. But, I was wondering if it was possible to communicate with a Sunspec device just by polling the register directly.

For example, Sunspec decided that the HUAWEI SUN2000 22KTL inverter is referenced as "model 103".
Model 103 is a group of register that stores a 3 phase inverter's data. There are 45 values in this group all stored in register 40070 through 40120 (some of them are 32 bit values).
So every Sunspec compliant inverter that are referenced as "model 103" will have the same register map than the HUAWEI one.

My question is: Is it possible to request a specific value in a specific register without any other communication needed? For example if i want a value stored in register 40080, can I just send a Modbus request asking for 40080?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,

I am working on a modbus communication device and stumbled upon Sunspec compliant devices that I need to communicate with.
To be more precise, I am working with solar inverters and in order to communicate with them, sometimes, the manufacturer provides a register map for modbus communication. So I have all the register needed to poll my inverters and retrieve the values I want. But it's different with Sunspec.
Does anyone know a bit about sunspec?

I know it is a standard way of storing data in certain registers. So any sunspec compliant device has a standard register map. But, I was wondering if it was possible to communicate with a Sunspec device just by polling the register directly.

For example, Sunspec decided that the HUAWEI SUN2000 22KTL inverter is referenced as "model 103".
Model 103 is a group of register that stores a 3 phase inverter's data. There are 45 values in this group all stored in register 40070 through 40120 (some of them are 32 bit values).
So every Sunspec compliant inverter that are referenced as "model 103" will have the same register map than the HUAWEI one.

My question is: Is it possible to request a specific value in a specific register without any other communication needed? For example if i want a value stored in register 40080, can I just send a Modbus request asking for 40080?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hello

Your querie/question is little bit unclear as we do not have the mapping and Sunspec Modbus interface ...
What application is used ...is that Fusion solar app or smart logger used...

With more infos added ..that will be easier to advise ...

The SunSpec Modbus is just at the application level, defining what data is in certain registers. The devices still use standard Modbus for communication, so any Modbus master can communicate to them.

The benefit of SunSpec Modbus is for interoperability between different manufacturers and so devices from different manufacturers can be used as drop-in replacements, as they have the exact same register map.

It sounds like for your purposes, you can simply ignore the fact that it's SunSpec Modbus and just treat your device as you would any other Modbus device.

The SunSpec Modbus is just at the application level, defining what data is in certain registers. The devices still use standard Modbus for communication, so any Modbus master can communicate to them.

The benefit of SunSpec Modbus is for interoperability between different manufacturers and so devices from different manufacturers can be used as drop-in replacements, as they have the exact same register map.

It sounds like for your purposes, you can simply ignore the fact that it's SunSpec Modbus and just treat your device as you would any other Modbus device.

Hey thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to understand.

@ControlsGuy25
Sorry if that was unclear, I was asking about Sunspec devices in general not really for a specific type of model.

So in conclusion, Sunspec devices can be treated as a normal Modbus compliant device.