texas instrument plc info

R

ralph

project just landed on my desk
upgrade ladder programme of several texas instrument plcs, update associated scada screens,possibly add more IO cards to racks....

TI website tells me that they dont do plcs ne more, siemens now does them ,, is this true?

will need to get hold of software (ive seen "tisoft" on printed version of ladder diagram)

also seen reference to "wonderware" on some documents

have been told by tech from site that each of the 6 scada screens monitoring will have to be updated individually. could this be true?

wont know ti model# till i get to site and get some details

any help appreciated
regards ralph

D

Daniel Chartier

Hello Ralph;
For any and all manuals for the TI505 PLC family, (and all of them free) follow the following link:

http://www.sea.siemens.com/automat/product/plc/505/au505ov.html
and look at the manuals and download section.
This is the Siemens USA (Energy and automation) support webpage dedicated to TI505 PLCs.
The TI505 family of PLCs presented as most recent CPUs the 555-1105 and 555-1106; before that you had the 545-110x, the 530-110x and the 520-110x. All these CPUs can be handled by Tisoft, especially the latest version, v. 7.0.
Tisoft was the DOS-based programming software for these PLCs; I don't think Siemens even sells it anymore. They now promote SoftShop, a Windows-based software that you can download as a demo from the same website (You need to buy a hardware key from Siemens to save and download to a CPU).

Ads far as Wonderware is concerned, it is a very well known and distributed SCADA package that used serial drivers to a TI505- they may have established a TCP/IP connection also. As any SCADA package works the same way, basically, if you are adding new tags (PLC registers and addresses) you will have to update any page that uses these new tags.

Hope this helpps,
Daniel Chartier

S

Steve Myres, PE

Yes, Siemens took over the PLC business of Texas instruments about 10 years ago. The current large PLC at that time was the 505 series, ranging from the 525 to the 575. This series is available from Siemens as the "Simatic TI545", 555, etc. I don't know if the older 500 series parts are available from Siemens or not (I believe it was already considered a legacy product at the time of the buyout).

If you have the processors TI called the 305 or 405 series, TI never made them in the first place. They were manufactured by Koyo in Japan and are now available from Automation Direct.com at very reasonable prices for both parts and programming software. The 305's were also sold as the GE Series One.

P
> project just landed on my desk
> upgrade ladder programme of several texas instrument plcs, update associated scada screens,possibly add more IO cards to racks....
>
> TI website tells me that they dont do plcs ne more, siemens now does them ,, is this true?

The 500 series is now Siemens. The smaller TIs are now Automation Direct.

>
> will need to get hold of software (ive seen "tisoft" on printed version of ladder diagram)
>

Still available from Siemens.

> also seen reference to "wonderware" on some documents
>

A common SCADA system.

> have been told by tech from site that each of the 6 scada screens monitoring will have to be updated individually. could this be true?

It could be. Depends on just what you want to change I guess. Does not sound like rocket science here.

> wont know ti model# till i get to site and get some details
>
>
> any help appreciated
> regards ralph

J
Ralph,

Another option is 505 WorkShop from FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc. This is a 32 bit Windows upgrade from the DOS TISOFT. Siemens brand labels this software from FasTrak as 505 SoftShop.

Download a demo from http://www.fast-soft.com.

Contact me for more information.

Joseph Luft
[email protected]
414-358-8088

On May 17, 2003, ralph wrote:
> project just landed on my desk
upgrade ladder programme of several texas instrument plcs, update associated scada screens,possibly add more IO cards to racks....
>
> TI website tells me that they dont do plcs ne more, siemens now does them ,, is this true?
>
> will need to get hold of software (ive seen "tisoft" on printed version of ladder diagram)
>
> also seen reference to "wonderware" on some documents
have been told by tech from site that each of the 6 scada screens monitoring will have to be updated individually. could this be true?
>
> wont know ti model# till i get to site and get some details
>
> any help appreciated <

( Complete thread: http://www.control.com/1026173280/index_html )