use MS6001B gas turbine for mechanical drive

I've worked on many GE-design Frame 6B heavy duty single shaft gas turbines--but I NEVER recall encountering or hearing of one used as a mechanical drive requiring speed fluctuations. Frame 5 single shaft, yes. Frame 7E or 7EA single shaft, yes. But not a Frame 6B. I don't know why that is (or was), but that's my experience.

If there are single shaft Frame 6B machines used as mechanical drives I would suggest the speed range is very similar to that of a single shaft Frame 5 machine used as a mechanical drive. ALL Frame 6B generator drives did not have the same operating speed--it all depended on the Load/Reduction Gear box ratio, and that was never a hard and fast number as manufacturers were allowed to make slight modifications to the gear box ratios depending on the crystalline structure of the metals being used--but they never changed by more than 30 RPM or so from the 5130 RPM nominal operating speed of the axial compressor.

But, again, I've never encountered--or even heard of--a Frame 6B single shaft heavy duty gas turbine being used as a mechanical drive. Not in LNG plants; not in natural gas fields/pipelines; not in refinery applications.

NOTE: I HAVE NOT seen every GE-design heavy duty gas turbine application ever done or attempted. But, in almost forty years I don't recall ever seeing a Frame 6B in a mechanical drive application. Or even hearing of one. I've seen them used as generator drives in LNG plants where both Frame 5 single shaft machines and Frame 7EA single shaft machines were used as compressor drives in compressor trains. But not as mechanical drive turbines.

@gas turbine mec,

At the top of every Control.com webpage is a magnifying glass that is the Search feature of Control.com" (see the arrow pointing to the magnifying glass below):

1706275535241.png

By entering "hydraulic ratchet" (with the double-quotation marks") you can find MANY threads all discussing the hydraulic ratchet mechanism used on most GE-design Frame 5 and Frame 6B heavy duty gas turbines and how they operate and how to troubleshoot them.

BUT, as ControlsGuy25 wrote--it's best that you open a new thread AND describe the problems you believe you are having with the ratchet mechanism, any alarms related to the hydraulic ratchet, AND the type of control system used on the Frame 6B unit you are working on. Also, please tell us what troubleshooting you have done AND what the results of the troubleshooting were (other than the problem was not resolved). Also, please tell us the age of this machine.

Finally do you have a spare hydraulic ratchet self-sequencer mechanism?

We can help you, but, as ControlsGuy25 also wrote--we need more information. Yes; someone can help you, but we really need to understand what you're experiencing.