Wood chip level sensors

• Thread starter Andrey Romanenko
  • Start date
A

Andrey Romanenko

Hello,

What is the latest in the wood chip level measurement in Kamyr digesters? I was thinking to
improve chip level control at a plant and was wondering if the sensing part of the process could be upgraded. Thank you.

Andrey

A gamma ray level system is a proven performer on this application. ThermoMeasureTech, Berthold, and Ronan are viable vendors for this type of
product.

L.Kolbert
Manning Environmental

Andrey, maybe someone else can give you an answer to your question. I personally designed and implemented a control system for a Kamyr digester,
and wood chip level was not one of the variables I attempted to control. The Kamyr is almost an uncontrollable process that has enough natural
stability to just keep working no matter what fool adjustments we make to it. Remember that the most important controlled variable is the pulp kappa number, and I don't believe that chip level has much effect on it as long as the chips spend enough time in the impregnation zone. This means that a rough control of level will generally be enough.

Contact me off-line if you would like to exchange more information on this topic, or anything else about control of Kamyr digesters (or almost any
other pulp and paper process.)

Dick Caro
============================================
Richard H. Caro, CEO
CMC Associates
2 Beth Circle, Acton, MA 01720
Tel: +1.978.635.9449 Mobile: +1.978.764.4728
Fax: +1.978.246.1270
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.CMC.us
============================================

M
Laser Level has been used.

Margo Myers
Director of Marketing
Thermo Electron Corporation
Process Instruments Division
Process Sensors and Analyzers
2555 N I 35
Round Rock, TX USA 78664
(800) 736-0801
(512) 388-9100
Direct (512) 388-9208
[email protected]

A

Andrey Romanenko

Hello,

It has been a while but it seems there is no new technologies available for hydraulic kamyr digesters.. Yes, those nuclear devices do noncontact wonders elsewhere but not here. I asked a guy from Ronan at ISA EXPO 2003 and he said that since the vessel is filled up with water it was not possible to apply their existing devices. The source radioactivity level had to be increased much more than you would be comfortable to be nearby. Is there anything else available besides the "infer level from paddle torque" type of devices? Thank you very much!

Andrey