Sudden Load Fluctuations: Causes?

Request experts on the forum to kindly help us with the following problem with one of the two Gas Turbines.

The problem is being faced by my colleagues in a remote field so am posting their proximate experience here. Pardon me for any missed out information. Have tried my best to collate whatever I cud gather from them.

Brief Process Description:
Two Gas Turbines (GT1 & GT2) power a Gas Injection Plant

Machine Details:
Then Allison (Now Siemens) Make;
3 MW each @ 50Hz;
14000 RPM,
Model 501KB5

The Fuel to the Turbines is fed from a preceding stage of Booster Compressor (Boosts Gas Pressure from 6 Kg/Cm2 to 18 Kg/Cm2).

The Booster Compressor Cuts in at 18 Kgs and Cuts off at 21 Kgs. Cut in Cut Off periodicity is 3 - 4 Mins (Take 3 - 4 mins to Cut in and 3 - 4 Mins for Cut Off)

Downstream of Booster Compressor is a PCV (after 'Dominic Filters' in the diagram) which maintains pressure to GT inlets at 15-16 Kgs BUT this PCV is not functional AND hence is kept fully opened, manually. (One can alternatively say that the Gas Pressure to GT inlet is fluctuating at the same rate as the Cut-in Cut OFF cycle of Booster Compressor)

Operation of GTs is in Parallel. They are not connected to any larger state Grid. Both GTs normally share equal loads.

Nominal Plant Load is approx 4 MW. Each GT takes 2 MW in sharing mode.

Problem (described below) occurs atleast 4 - 6 times a day. About a month ago, when the problem started it was about once in four days. So clearly the problem is showing an an increasing trend.

The machines have been in 24x7 operations and havent been subjected to any major maintenance activity prior to the problem.

Problem Description:
GT1, the problematic guy, suddenly throws approx. 25% of the load.. The load is taken up by GT2 but due to this there is a 30-45 seconds of a turbulent period which causes the load to fluctuate on GT1. After 45 Seconds or so, the load is again equalized on both machines. Problem is more frequently noticed when machines are running above 1.8MW EACH.

Technicians have replaced the Fuel Control Card, Checked the Fuel Control Valves, MW Transducer. Seemingly, everything sounds and looks right. Except, for the PCV upstream, which as already said above, is currently out of line. Hence the Governor Inlet Pressure swings with the Cut-in Cut-OFF frequency of the Booster Compressor (which is roughly 3 - 4 Mins). But those with little experience with the machine, say that Fuel Controller has in past been able to handle similar upstream fluctuations and find little reason to doubt it.

Some Questions:
1) Obviously, given the info, what are the possible reasons which we shud be looking at to identify the problem
2) Would the Booster Compressor Discharge fluctuations weight in heavily to the problem? May be I have over emphasized this issue in the description (due to my personal bias, I guess) but would request experts here to kindly look the entire problem for other possible reasons too.

Thanks in adv and regards

Attaching a few available and relevant drawings for a perspective

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 07.57.49.jpegFuel_Skid_GT.jpg

Request experts on the forum to kindly help us with the following problem with one of the two Gas Turbines.

The problem is being faced by my colleagues in a remote field so am posting their proximate experience here. Pardon me for any missed out information. Have tried my best to collate whatever I cud gather from them.

Brief Process Description:
Two Gas Turbines (GT1 & GT2) power a Gas Injection Plant

Machine Details:
Then Allison (Now Siemens) Make;
3 MW each @ 50Hz;
14000 RPM,
Model 501KB5

The Fuel to the Turbines is fed from a preceding stage of Booster Compressor (Boosts Gas Pressure from 6 Kg/Cm2 to 18 Kg/Cm2).

The Booster Compressor Cuts in at 18 Kgs and Cuts off at 21 Kgs. Cut in Cut Off periodicity is 3 - 4 Mins (Take 3 - 4 mins to Cut in and 3 - 4 Mins for Cut Off)

Downstream of Booster Compressor is a PCV (after 'Dominic Filters' in the diagram) which maintains pressure to GT inlets at 15-16 Kgs BUT this PCV is not functional AND hence is kept fully opened, manually. (One can alternatively say that the Gas Pressure to GT inlet is fluctuating at the same rate as the Cut-in Cut OFF cycle of Booster Compressor)

Operation of GTs is in Parallel. They are not connected to any larger state Grid. Both GTs normally share equal loads.

Nominal Plant Load is approx 4 MW. Each GT takes 2 MW in sharing mode.

Problem (described below) occurs atleast 4 - 6 times a day. About a month ago, when the problem started it was about once in four days. So clearly the problem is showing an an increasing trend.

The machines have been in 24x7 operations and havent been subjected to any major maintenance activity prior to the problem.

Problem Description:
GT1, the problematic guy, suddenly throws approx. 25% of the load.. The load is taken up by GT2 but due to this there is a 30-45 seconds of a turbulent period which causes the load to fluctuate on GT1. After 45 Seconds or so, the load is again equalized on both machines. Problem is more frequently noticed when machines are running above 1.8MW EACH.

Technicians have replaced the Fuel Control Card, Checked the Fuel Control Valves, MW Transducer. Seemingly, everything sounds and looks right. Except, for the PCV upstream, which as already said above, is currently out of line. Hence the Governor Inlet Pressure swings with the Cut-in Cut-OFF frequency of the Booster Compressor (which is roughly 3 - 4 Mins). But those with little experience with the machine, say that Fuel Controller has in past been able to handle similar upstream fluctuations and find little reason to doubt it.

Some Questions:
1) Obviously, given the info, what are the possible reasons which we shud be looking at to identify the problem
2) Would the Booster Compressor Discharge fluctuations weight in heavily to the problem? May be I have over emphasized this issue in the description (due to my personal bias, I guess) but would request experts here to kindly look the entire problem for other possible reasons too.

Thanks in adv and regards

Attaching a few available and relevant drawings for a perspective

View attachment 1325View attachment 1326
Good day all!
Can you tell us what is
APD Fred adj..
420HZ PMA

Shown on drawing.. 1

LP/Hp skid on drawing 2

Also can you clarify about electrical /load system..
Is that an Island mode..
Gas injection plant.. Configuration..

A Single line diagram would be welcome fo better overview of this site..
Looking forward to hear back from you soon

James

Good day all!
Can you tell us what is
APD Fred adj..
420HZ PMA

Shown on drawing.. 1

Hp skid on drawing 2

Also can you clarify about electrical /load system..
Is that an Island mode..
Gas injection plant.. Configuration..

A Single line diagram would be welcome fo better overview of this site..
Looking forward to hear back from you soon

James
PMA is Permanent Magnet Alternator
Electrical Load is mostly Gas Lift Compressors - Range 650 to 700 kW... Gas Injection Plant basically injects high pressure Gas into the formation to boost Oil pressure and help it come to the surface.
Some smaller compressor loads are also present - about 100 kW

GTs are NOT connected to any larger Grid. They are in Island Mode.

There is no dedicated selection for Droop / Isoc mode but the machines are running in Droop.

Regards

PMA is Permanent Magnet Alternator
Electrical Load is mostly Gas Lift Compressors - Range 650 to 700 kW... Gas Injection Plant basically injects high pressure Gas into the formation to boost help Oil come to the surface.
Some smaller compressor loads are also present - about 100 kW

GTs are NOT connected to any larger Grid. They are in Island Mode.

There is no dedicated selection for Droop / Isoc mode but the machines are running in Droop.

Regards
Okay...
Thanks these clarifications
I was pretty sure about That PMA also called PMG..
You did not answered on :
ADP freq adj..
Looks like something missed here.. As in island mode... There should be one GT operating on isochronous mode..

Can you share app code... Software sequence..
Load sharing also seems not tuned well..
Can you develop on that upstream PCV outline.. What you mean.. By these statements...

Can you tell us which PCV /CV

As per my understanding S2 is SRV (stop ratio valve ) and Motoring /Motorized valve is GCV ( Gas control valve)..
Can you confirm..

Also is that PCV that you said is " out of line " is controlled in normal time by control system...

We would need to see app code or software /sequence implemented on that units...without that it is just speculations..

James

Okay...
Thanks these clarifications
I was pretty sure about That PMA also called PMG..
You did not answered on :
ADP freq adj..
Looks like something missed here.. As in island mode... There should be one GT operating on isochronous mode..

Can you share app code... Software sequence..
Load sharing also seems not tuned well..
Can you develop on that upstream PCV outline.. What you mean.. By these statements...
I am not very sure of APD Freq thing...!! Wud try and fetch details tomorrow...!!

The PCV is at the upstream of GTs Fuel Control Valve (The Governor)...!! The PCV ideally is supposed to keep the pressure at the inlet of FCV constant (15 - 16 Kgs)...!! However, its not functional for some reason and hence its kept manually open...!!

The PCV is not controlled by GTs control system...!! Its a standalone Control Valve outside the battery limit of GT and is controlled by an independent mechanism...!!!

Regarding the code too, I am not sure enuf if I would be able to fetch it...!!! Most control part is card based...!!

Regards

Can you tell us which PCV /CV

As per my understanding S2 is SRV (stop ratio valve ) and Motoring /Motorized valve is GCV ( Gas control valve)..
Can you confirm..

Also is that PCV that you said is " out of line " is controlled in normal time by control system...

We would need to see app code or software /sequence implemented on that units...without that it is just speculations..

James
Okay, I get it... Lemme confirm S2's exact role tomorrow...!! Its late here...!!

Thanks again and regards

I am not very sure of APD Freq thing...!! Wud try and fetch details tomorrow...!!

The PCV is at the upstream of GTs Fuel Control Valve (The Governor)...!! The PCV ideally is supposed to keep the pressure at the inlet of FCV constant (15 - 16 Kgs)...!! However, its not functional for some reason and hence its kept manually open...!!

The PCV is not controlled by GTs control system...!! Its a standalone Control Valve outside the battery limit of GT and is controlled by an independent mechanism...!!!

Regarding the code too, I am not sure enuf if I would be able to fetch it...!!! Most control part is card based...!!

Regards
Okay thanks for the answers..

My questions were actually to identify stop ratio valve SRV and Gas control valve...on the drawing but I got it..no problem

Your issue would seems to be an frequency fluctuations ..and so load fluctuations

I will wait for the answers on the APD FREQ ADJ..Definition...

Do you know about electrical system /grid stability ...
You have a microgrid (island mode) ..how frrequency can be maintained if both GT are in droop mode ..can you developp..*

Regards,
James

Hi
Any updates on the issue..

Thank you for your reply
Regards
James
Sorry for the delay in posting a feedback. Perhaps our folks are looking at a Fuel Control Card Issue. Its not yet established but trying to check it in another running machine and see if the responses match.

Meanwhile, I dont have a word on the APD frequency thing. Its there in the drawing but I am yet to get a clearer picture on that.

Regarding the valves S1, S2 and S3 - They are wrongly indicated as CVs. Actually they are SDVs which are controlled by the GT PLC. The PCV indicated at the downstream of 'Dominic Filter' in the diagram is the one which is not working and hence, it is kept manually open. In original scheme of things, this PCV was supposed to maintain the downstream pressure of the Booster Compressor (Upstream of Fuel Control Valve) at 15 Kgs.

Regards