723 woodward controller common speed control common alarm

K

Karpi

why tripping occurs due to speed control common alarm on 723plus woodward controller

Regards

Have you consulted the Woodward manual for information? If so, what does it say?

When did this problem begin?

Most prime mover (engine, turbine, etc.) controllers try to control speed, so the integrity of the speed feedback is critical to the protection of the equipment as well as the control of the process. It's not uncommon for controllers to trip when they don't have good speed feedback (input) from the speed sensors.

Have you checked the wiring for loose connections/terminations?

Have you checked the speed pick-ups (probes)?

Many prime mover control systems use passive speed pick-ups, and the gap (the distance from the face of the probe to the toothed wheel providing the speed indication) is important. Have you checked the gap of the speed pick-ups?

I haven't seen a 723PLUS for a long time, but they're pretty good control systems and as I recall the manual isn't too bad. But, again, when did this problem begin? (Suddenly; after a maintenance outage; has it been ongoing since the original commissioning; etc.) And, have you consulted the manual (some Woodward manuals are available on the World Wide Web for free)?

What have you done to try to troubleshoot the problem? And what were the results?

H
Dear Karpi,

it important that you are more explicit in your queries so as to help the respondents in giving you unambiguous reply.

meanwhile, u can plug in the woodward handheld programmer into the 723plus controller to retrieve the alarms. give us feedback on your findings.

pls do specify if ur installation is new, under commissioning or has been running ok for some time.

best of luck.
regards.
harigbedeh

M

Muhammad Aamer

Dear Karpi,

I have attended the subjected fault (speed control common alarm) at LPTL Faisalabad, and found loose termination/connection of speed sensor cable.

Then i consulted the woodward 723 plus manual
723PLUS DIGITAL CONTROL
APPLICATION MANUAL
APPLICATION NAME : 723plus Basic Droop
CUSTOMER NAME : MAN B&W
manual B89821.C.

On second last page of this manual, functional block diagram is given.
terminal #3 and #4 are the relay out put #1 (which is assigned for speed control common alarm at LPTL Faisalabad), which remains energize in normal operation (a green LED remains lit).

Functional block shows that a comparator is used to compare the fuel limit and internal P.i.D function out put.

i think that the output #1 will remain true if the P.I.D function output remains below fuel limit and will turn false when P.I.D function output exceeds the fuel limit (speed control common alarm). That means an overloading or excessive load command will be the cause of common alarm.

And relay out # 3 (which is used to open the Genset breaker) will be energized when speed sensors fault is detected.

Please do inform me if you find something else.
aamerwali_123 [at] yahoo.com