Access control system

A

Arun

I dont know if i am in the right queue. We wish to develop our customized software for fingerprint access control device.

The device uses PIN + finger template to allow access or deny an entry. The finger print templates are maintained in a separate software1 (OEM).

This hardware unit is connected to the computer using RJ45 cable. The unit has a RS232 converter. We have another
software2 (OEM) that is also installed which maps the IP address of the particular unit with the COM port of the computer.
Thereby, allowing us to access the time and other details from the hardware unit using a software3 (OEM).
On selecting a particular COM port from software3, the assigned IP address of the unit is accessed.

Now, we wish to replace software3 with our customized software to display time and other user related details. Manufacturer says that we need to use RS232 commands which i have acquired in a doc. I dont know if i have to connect my application directly with the hardware unit or just connect to the COM port of the computer. Will accessing the COM port allow me to access the finger print unit..
thanks for ur patience and advice.