Ancient Allen Bradley Question

G

Glenn Erickson

I was asked to update an OLD system that the customer claims is controlled by an Allen Bradley 150 PLC. The system is about 25 years old. I have yet to visit the plant to see the unit for myself. Does this model number ring any bells out there? Or could there be a model similar and the customer is simply trying to recall something and got it wrong. What models WERE available in the early 80's?

Thanks

T

Tony R. Gunderman

It is probably an Allen Bradley SLC 150. I believe the bulletin number was 1745. That bulletin number applied to the SLC 100 and SLC 150. You could get a handheld programmer or use a software package on a PC with a converter module.

I believe AB still has documentation for these on their website.

Tony R. Gunderman
Eastman Chemical Company

SLC 100, SLC 150 (Slick 150). They are small "brick" plc's that have very few I/O capabilities.

Go to AB.com and they should have info on them..................

PS 1980 isn't that old : )

Dave

W

William Sturm

SLC-150 and SLC-100 were brick style PLCs in the 80s. They were pretty much just for basic logic, timing, and counting. No real math capabilities. You could get an expansion unit for it. I never used the software, just a hand held programmer.

K

Kent Hostetler

I still have in use a SLC-100 PLC, with SLC-150 Expansion Modules (for additional I/O).

Kent

In the early 80s there was the SLC 100 and the SLC 150. They were shoebox shaped, fixed I/O and were made of white plastic. The programmer was a hand held device or optionally a DOS program and a PIC interface box.

C

Curt Wuollet

I've replaced a couple with MicroLogix. They weren't very big systems so this worked out OK. The main problem is dealing with the old stuff.

Regards
cww

G

Glenn Erickson

Thank you. I was able to confirm for myself that is IS a SLC 150. My next challenge is to see what software I would need to program it.

Just did one and produced a logic diagram for a customer so that it could be incorporated into a larger and more diversified distributed I/O system.

Yes, it is the old 1745 series. Threre were, (are if you can find the parts and software), 3 ways I know of to deal with this.

There is the handheld programmer which you already have heard of...

and then there are Two types of interface software which were used to communicate with the SLC 100s and 150s via a PC. (By the way there was a predecessor to the SLC 100 series called a "Machine Automation Controller" or "MAC". It was not on the market very long for good reason. If you happen to get called upon to work with one of these... for several reasons ...run away)!

And then there are at least two PC interface softwares and perhaps three, (I think Taylor Software tried to get into this market as well).

To use the PC interface you will need to beg, borrow, rent or resurect:

1.) A/B PCIS software, or ICOM "Ladder Logistics" software. *** DOS driven ****

2.) You will need a DOS machine or one which uses DOS supported Windows. Because the DOS software needs direct control of the serial ports "COM1 & or COM2" & LPT1. Old 286 & 386 laptops seem to work OK with Windows 3.2 or so. Windows "DOS Shell will not work" Plug and Play tries to dominate this realm in the newer versions of windows.

3.) a "1745 PCC" module or the B&K "SMART Cable" (The smart cable and the A/B 1745-PCC modules convert RS232 to RS485 serial and both have the specialized 7 pin "DIN" type connector required to make the connection between the PC serial port and the SLC 100 or 150.

The smart cable is the better of the two, the PCC module is powered from the RS232 port and is unreliable. The smart cable has a separate power supply and is very reliable.

4.) If you do not find the original software with the activation key, you will have to find a "work around" key or some other way to evade that very helpful aspect. (Best to find an old computer that already has the software installed and activated.)

5.) Passwords. oh yeah, they let some folks put in passwords. but I can help you there if that is the case.

When asked for the "User Password" enter the following:

9,4,0,<Enter>,Ins

That info is in the Rockwell "Knowlegebase" #P4080

Done that and it's do-able. hang in there and Good Luck!

Howie

T

Trevor Ousey \(lists\)

The PCC module to my surprise works with winXP SP1 using PCIS Version 3 software on my notebook. I have got to say I wasn't optimistic.

S

Steve Myres, PE

You are probably running Windows NT/200x/XP. These versions of windows want to handle all hardware access for the programs they are running, and the DOS software is trying to write directly to the port memory. There are special drivers you can get that will enable you to run them, or you could run on a Win 9x machine, or just boot to a real DOS session, either on demand or set up as the sold OS on the computer.