Best modbus protocol analyser required

Hi All
This is my first post on this forum so please correct me on any formal things.
I am working with Renuelectronics gateway GWY-00-B which translates modbus RTU from PLC to the modbus ASCII for the particle counter.
Sadly this converter is not working as it should.

Would you be so kind and:
  • advise me on the tools needed to diagnose/ troubleshoot the gateway - is Modsim simulator and modbus client good tool to do that - so i can in theory trigger a value in modbus simulator and see if the gateway sends it properly at the other end?
  • Are there any protocol analysers to analyse the modbus RTU, modbus ascii or modbus RTU communication at the frame level? would it require hardware like oscilloscope or is software solution possible as well?
  • Trying to broaden the question - i try to learn more about industrial network - are there any monitoring tools/resources to help me to become master of modbus, industrial ethernet, RS-485, RS-232, Mqtt etc ?
Thanks in advance for any help or advise!

Regards Hewking

Wire shark...whenever I need to sniff a network thats what I use never let me down yet...has loads of different protocals..
So you become familiar with one package as apposed to using several different packages...
Loads of tutorials on how to use it...and its free

Wire shark...whenever I need to sniff a network thats what I use never let me down yet...has loads of different protocals..
So you become familiar with one package as apposed to using several different packages...
Loads of tutorials on how to use it...and its free
thanks for reply, i assume wire shark could be used for modbus IP? modbus rtu and modbus ascii would require different tool ?

There are countless mistakes you can make when configuring Modbus devices to communicate to each other. Typically, you don't need to capture and analyze the communication to resolve these types of issues.

Let's start with you describing your problem in more detail. You stated, "Sadly this converter is not working as it should." Please expand on what you expect the converter to be doing, what it actually is doing, and how you have the converter configured (screenshots are usually very helpful here). Please also provide Modbus documentation (or at least vendor and model) of the particle counter and how your PLC is configured (communication settings, what registers it's trying to access, etc.).

Calta Systems has the best MODBUS software. Standard serial AND Modbus over ethernet.
Master, slave, and monitor mode.
I even used the software to build out an auditing system for Omni Flow flow computer configuration checks.

It is a must have to properly tune (and troubleshoot) a serial modbus circuit.