CompactLogix Radio Comm

A

adex

I am doing a telemetry system which consists of 16 CompactLogix PLCs and esteem 195es radio modem. This is a DF1 master and slave configuration.
I have set up the serial port of the PLC to be DF1 Master for 1 PLC and DF1 slave for other PLCs. I have set up the polling mode to standard (multiple message transfer per node scan) and created tags for other settings.

First, I tried the PLC on a point to point comm setting on the modem. It worked (point to point). The problem I have is: I tried to change the modem to use multipoint and the PLCs failed to communicate with each other. Has anyone used the esteem 195es modem and CompactLogix on a DF1 protocol? I would like to know how you configure things.

B

Brian E Boothe

your first Big Mistake is using Crappy DF1 Radio modems: with a really nice compact Logix Platform: if you're using Newer Software AB Hates DF1 ethernet Works soooomuch better use ethernet modems from dataradio sooooo much easier:

"why is it Noobs always go DF1"?? oh welll your Loss :

AB has a few flavors of DF1 protocol: DF1 full-duplex, DF1 half-duplex, and DF1 Radio Modem. I am not familiar with the CompactLogix platform so I do not know whether or not it supports DF1 Radio Modem protocol. But if it does, then that's what I suggest you use. In any event you cannot use DF1 full-duplex on a point-to-multipoint communication circuit. DF1 full-duplex will only work on a point-to-point circuit, like you originally had. A point-to-multipoint comm circuit is half-duplex by its nature and requires a half-duplex protocol, with one master and unique addresses for each attached slave. Both DF1 half-duplex and DF1 Radio Modem protocols should work in your application. DF1 Radio Modem protocol is the more efficient of the two.