Connection of shield cables in the control system

A

arocon

Could anyone tell me what is the consequences if shield cables of control system are not properly connected. Specially in the case of LVDTs which is used for Gas Turbine control system.

Also tell me with explanation how shield cables are connected with the system.

M
The consequences are multiple but all are related to noise issues. I would think this would be a big issue for Turbine applications due to motor start/stop, etc. If you a sending your Turbines to Europe it is mandatory to ground out the shield. Several companies offer grounding systems for shielded cables. I have used the WAGO version in multple applications and with great success.

Here is the direct link:

http://www.wago.com/wago_root/us/en....htm&HL3=&B=/wago_root/us/en/products/133.htm

If they are done improperly you will get a faulse analog signal. the way to instal sheilded pair wire is to strip off just enuff of the outer jacket to make your your terminations being carfull the there are no stray wires. a bit a shrink wrap cleans up the ends of the wires. also yo must ground the case drain located in the jacket but outside of the sheild. it should be grounded at one end ONLY!! to prevent faulse signals.