Controllogix to Windows CE based display

A

Arturo

Hi everyone, I'm trying to send data from a ControlLogix to a display running Windows CE. I'm trying to do it using Ethernet.

Do you know if it is possible? Or do I have to add something else?

Thanks in advance

What software are you using on the Windows CE device? You will at minimum need a driver that can communicate Ethernet/IP to the controlLogix.

I've done it with a Visual Basic .NET application using a driver that I developed. The CE device had the .NET compact framework already installed.

D

Daniel Uhrin

i presume there will be no simple way to do it. normally you use rslinx+(OPC or DDE) on Windows but unfortunately there's no rslinx for wince. what you can probably do is connect the wince device to a pc with rslinx installed and communicate to logix through this pc as a "gateway" using OPC or DDE. DDE should be supported on wince as it's microsoft's counterpart to OPC.

Ethernet only carries data.

An 'application' is needed to deal with the data.

And a common protocol on both the Controllogix and the display is needed to manage the data link comm connection, something like Modbus.

Thanks everyone. The display is an Alpha Vision display from Adaptive running Windows CE. I am trying to find if they have some kind of driver to communicate to Ethernet/IP and I guess that I need to get the Class, Instance and Attribute needed to configure in a message in the PLC logic.

In case that the display doesn't have these "drivers" I will try with an OPC or maybe an external module to translate from Ethernet/IP.

I would be real surprised if someone didn't have a .net component or library that you could use and it would run on CE since the .net runtime is installed already. The problem is that you need to get all the bits to try, or ask the vendor if you can evaluate a screen.

KEJR