Creating Reports from an .CSV file

R

Ryan

I need to create a simple X v.s Y graph of different parameters that I am collecting from a T-53 Lycoming gas Turbine (currently being used to produce electricity). The data is currently being collected in a .CSV file on a daily basis. Currently the reports are being generated in Microsoft excel but this is an inefficient way of producing these report for it takes upwards of 45 minutes for excel to generate all the graphs and export it to pdf form. The problem is that the report consists of 16 graphs (simple xy plots with minimal calculations involved) with a total of 2 million data point (the logger samples each parameter every second for a period of 24 hours). Currently the turbine is being monitored through Cscape EnvisionRV.

My question is what are other people using so as to expedite the collection of data and generation of these types of Reports? You can answer through this forum or e-mail me directly at [email protected]

Collect to a SQL server and report the data from that database using some kind of reporting package. At the company I work for we use Crystal Reports. I'm not sure if there are better packages out there. Once you get your data into a database you have scalable options.

You might also consider preprocessing your information on the fly so you don't have to record 2 million data points a day. Gather it as statistics or histograms, or something of that sort.

KEJR

Thanks for the advice, here at my company we use crystal reports for producing shift hand over reports and other types. but from my experience, Crystal reports is not suited for plotting vast amounts of data in trend graphs. (we tend to use trend graphs so as to identify sudden pickups in parameters for this has led to shutdowns in the past.)

I will try XLReporter version 10 and report back with my findings.