GE Frame 5 High Exhaust Thermocouple Reading

Dear All,

one of our GE frame 5 MS5001PA gas turbines has three of the thirteen thermocouples reading higher than normal. This is causing a high spread alarm and trips.

Thermocouples TT-XD1, TT-XD2 and TT-XD13 are reading 30-40 degrees higher than the other thermocouples. All 13 thermocouples are new and were recently installed on the unit. We suspect issues with the combustion system but having difficulty associating the thermocouples with their appropriate combustion cans so we can investigate.

What could possibly be the cause of this and how do we correct it?

Confirm that you have the thermocouple wiring done correctionto avoid junction errors. When commisioning is done, ice bath testing of the sensor is done in the field, to confirm the remote display readings.

Dear All,

one of our GE frame 5 MS5001PA gas turbines has three of the thirteen thermocouples reading higher than normal. This is causing a high spread alarm and trips.

Thermocouples TT-XD1, TT-XD2 and TT-XD13 are reading 30-40 degrees higher than the other thermocouples. All 13 thermocouples are new and were recently installed on the unit. We suspect issues with the combustion system but having difficulty associating the thermocouples with their appropriate combustion cans so we can investigate.

What could possibly be the cause of this and how do we correct it?
what's is the manufacturer of the TT-XD1 thermocouple?

That makes sense to 45.

There are MANY suppliers of exhaust T/Cs for GE-design heavy duty gas turbines. There are also a couple of different types of exhaust T/Cs.

Conax (conaxtechnologies.com), GE (ge.com, services, gas turbines), MD&A (www.MDATurbines.com) are three possible suppliers.

A simple Google search for 'GE gas turbine exhaust thermocouples' will yield several results that mention GE specifically in their offerings (as well as some generic offerings which could be easily discarded).

You are posting for spare mechanical parts on a controls-related forum. Some control system components are mechanical (like hydraulic actuators and control valves) and we do often provide information about how these devices operate and how to understand them, but we don’t usually provide spare mechanical parts information. The unit you are inquiring about is probably fairly old there may not be much available in the way of spare parts/components. I may be wrong (I have been before and I will be in the future!) but I don’t recall ever seeing any posts for information about this particular machine on Control.com.

Best of luck.