GFCI Service Outlet Requirements?

R

R M

Is there anything that REQUIRES the 120v outlet on the front of my PLC enclosure to be a GFCI? I'm talking about the service outlet where I plug in my laptop when going on-line with the PLC. I've seen them more and more becoming GFCIs vs. the standard dupex receptacle, but is there a requirement?

Thanks all,

GFCI outlets used as a programmer port is a growing standard practice but not a requirement. GCFI requirements are based on proximity to water sources, and generally apply to residential or commercial applications. Most programmer ports are fed by a 2 or 3 amp circuit breaker that will trip before the GFCI internal breaker will trip. The GFCI breaker has a lower trip rating for instantaneous inrush that is seen during a hard ground but during normal operations they are rated for 15 amps. The 2 amp feed breaker is there to protect your control transformer from people with power tools. Most suppliers of programmer ports have migrated away from face plates that house standard duplex receptacles and only offer GFCI faceplates.