GT frame 9E machine start on DC turning

CSA questioning glenmorangie to allow idiots to start a turbine without a proper AC turning gear motor that allows the proper cooldown sequence after turbine is shutdown.

My answer is SURE start it. The cranking motor protection relay may need to have the protection settings changed. GO FOR IT.

All this from the question of a poster that only wanted to know if the cranking motor can start the thing from near zero speed.

Is this a trick question??????????????
Curious_One,

I worked with a man many years ago who had a VERY difficult time turning over operation to the operators at a plant. (I actually did more than one commissioning with him.) He just had no confidence that they knew how to operate the unit--and we all know that's the case at most new power plants. Hell, experienced operators melt away into the woodwork when a controls retrofit/upgrade is done--they think START doesn't mean START, and AUTO doesn't mean AUTO, and RAISE- or LOWER SPEED/LOAD don't do the same thing they did before. And, they don't want to be told what to do--but they're afraid to do what they've done before, too. It's almost comical.

If you think one has to know EVERY bit of code and logic before starting a machine, no one should be operating a machine. No one.

As engineers/technicians, especially engineers/technicians that have the responsibility to commission new turbine-generators which are under warranty by the OEM, we are probably more frightened than anyone about proper operation (well most, anyway; not all, but that's a different thread...!).

Yeah, I should have said if the unit is under manufacturer's warranty or an LTSA you should be asking this question of the warrantor or the LTSA provider. And, maybe the reason the question (poorly worded as it was) was meant to get a "second opinion" because there was some clarification required or needed.

If you tap out--no tap backs!

I have my answer. Right or wrong, I have it. I have formulated my own answer without the benefit of seeing the programming for the Mark* or the P&ID for the Starting Means system. It may be right, or it may be wrong. But it was based on the information provided by the original poster (scarce as it was), and our exchanges, Curious_One. The original poster (if he's even still following this thread) can use my answer as he sees fit, or not.

Operators, and Operations Supervisors, and Plant Managers, and Plant Engineers should be capable of looking at the START-CHECK permissive display and referring to the P&IDs and the System Descriptions in the Operations & Maintenance Manuals and making some informed decisions. We won't know what the original poster's duties or responsibilities are, or even what prompted the question. Without more information, there's nothing more can be done.

Blessed day.
Hallelujah !!
Curious_One,

I worked with a man many years ago who had a VERY difficult time turning over operation to the operators at a plant. (I actually did more than one commissioning with him.) He just had no confidence that they knew how to operate the unit--and we all know that's the case at most new power plants. Hell, experienced operators melt away into the woodwork when a controls retrofit/upgrade is done--they think START doesn't mean START, and AUTO doesn't mean AUTO, and RAISE- or LOWER SPEED/LOAD don't do the same thing they did before. And, they don't want to be told what to do--but they're afraid to do what they've done before, too. It's almost comical.

If you think one has to know EVERY bit of code and logic before starting a machine, no one should be operating a machine. No one.

As engineers/technicians, especially engineers/technicians that have the responsibility to commission new turbine-generators which are under warranty by the OEM, we are probably more frightened than anyone about proper operation (well most, anyway; not all, but that's a different thread...!).

Yeah, I should have said if the unit is under manufacturer's warranty or an LTSA you should be asking this question of the warrantor or the LTSA provider. And, maybe the reason the question (poorly worded as it was) was meant to get a "second opinion" because there was some clarification required or needed.

If you tap out--no tap backs!

I have my answer. Right or wrong, I have it. I have formulated my own answer without the benefit of seeing the programming for the Mark* or the P&ID for the Starting Means system. It may be right, or it may be wrong. But it was based on the information provided by the original poster (scarce as it was), and our exchanges, Curious_One. The original poster (if he's even still following this thread) can use my answer as he sees fit, or not.

Operators, and Operations Supervisors, and Plant Managers, and Plant Engineers should be capable of looking at the START-CHECK permissive display and referring to the P&IDs and the System Descriptions in the Operations & Maintenance Manuals and making some informed decisions. We won't know what the original poster's duties or responsibilities are, or even what prompted the question. Without more information, there's nothing more can be done.

Blessed day.
Hallelujah !!

What I can add for the moment is that I am. Agree with @Curious_One statement
There should be kind of permissive/interlocking with jacking oil pump to start/run or put in turning gear /cool down / barring whatever it is called nowadays... On Frame 9E..

Using DC motor for same purpose as Ac motor as most of experts here said would need to get protection checked /confirmed

But the best thing to do for the original poster is to ensure that by reading the right OEM manuals ..to see if there is kind of resundancy functionality on the turning gear system/subsystem.. As usually...

Stay safe & healthy,

Controls Guy25.

Here some notes from OEM Manual. :

The main function of turning gear in both types of turbine is to prevent rotor sagging when hot, that is distorting under its own weight when static and still hot from operation. The speed required to do this depends on the construction of the rotor and turbine, the distance between the bearings, the weight, rigidity and construction of the rotor. Sometimes ratcheting is sufficient, that is turning just 45degress every two minutes sometimes a speed of 8 rpm is required. The 9 e can be ratcheted but sometimes is slow rolled at 8 rpm. It depends on the installation, combined cycle, simple cycle.

In any event you should not consider trying to change the slow roll speed. This cannot be done on a slow roll turning gear motor without changing gear ratios, you should not alter time between ratchet cycles.

Also I strongly suggest original poster to have a good search on turning gear Thema for Frame 9E on this fabulous forum.
I saw good threads dis ussibg on same case...

Any time,

ControlsGuy25

Ps:I will add a link to the post in case if original poste cannot find it..

Who said anything about changing the slow-roll speed??? (Slow-roll is a term that was used to describe using Aux. L.O. Pump discharge pressure/flow through a second torque converter solenoid/passage, 20TU-2, to keep the shaft spinning at about 30-50 RPM; it wasn't a turning gear, it was using a portion of Aux. L.O. Pump discharge pressure/flow through the torque converter as a hydraulic motor (weak one at that) to keep the shaft turning slowly).

Doubltess we'll ever know what the original poster intended; he's been scared off by the responses to this thread, including mine. People need to READ the original poster's post(s) and respond to the question(s) posed and information provided.

And, we all need to remember: All GE-design heavy duty gas turbine packages ARE NOT identical. Not for Frame 5s, or Frame 6Bs, or Frame 9Es--none of them. The enclosures, the auxiliaries can be--and MOST often are--different. And, the throw in the GE Belfort Factor (which is chaos and confusion for the sake of being different because then can be) and all bets are off. Yes, all GE-design heavy duty gas turbines such (draw air in through the bellmouth), squeeze (compress the air in the axial compressor), burn (combust hydrocarbon-based fuels), and blow (exhaust)--but the packages can be very different. Different combustors; different starting means; different cooldown methods; different fuel delivery and metering systems; different inlet air filtering methods; different generator types and styles; different exhaust methods; etc. All of these things can change replies and comments and suggestions and recommendations.

I suggest some people extend their well-deserved vacation indefinitely. We need one, too....

James,

This guy is never writing back.

(Hope I’m wrong, but, … )

By the way have you a Starting Means P&ID for a unit with an AC & DC turning gear motors? I am very curious, and I have to wonder if there’s some kind of interlock to prevent both from running at the same time. I could also envision something like a piggy-back AC & DC motor coupled together, such as for a seal oil pump. But mostly I’m just curious.

I’m especially curious to know if the shaft has to be turning for the high-horsepower starting means motor to get the shaft accelerating during starting.

There has been a rumour for some time, too that GE Belfort was working on a static starter for 9E units which used the generator as the starting means motor. On F-class machines with static starters the shaft has to be spinning slowly so the starter can synchronize with the rotor to start accelerating the shaft for purging/firing.

So, lots of possibilities and questions. I wish people would not ASS-U-ME every GE-design Frame 9E was exactly like every other GE-design Frame 9E heavy duty gas turbine. But, people will be people, eh?

CSA

Thank you for the update...

Unfortunately I do not have yet such P&ID...that shows AC&DC starting means /motor shwon on it...

Indeed I would b ealso curious to know about the solution on this case..

Sometimes it is also good to keep things as they are and come back later in case of new thing/data come up..

Be safe & healthy!

James