Header Pressure Low Switch and Transmitter of GE Frame 9E to Elin 9A5 Generator

Hi,

I am looking forward to see any a P&ID or a schematic that shows the valve position of Low lube oil header switch and transmitter arrangement. see the attached picture of how it looks like. I am particularly after the position of porting valves. should both of them be closed during normal operation?
Any help would be much appreciated.
1630491157173.png

Attachments

Hi,

I am looking forward to see any a P&ID or a schematic that shows the valve position of Low lube oil header switch and transmitter arrangement. see the attached picture of how it looks like. I am particularly after the position of porting valves. should both of them be closed during normal operation?
View attachment 1523
Hi

Do you know designation/definition /signal name of 96QT 2A...I know what returns for 63 QT 2A..

Also dont you have a read on OEM operation & maintenance manual..

Cheers

Yoganak,

You need to find the P&ID for the generator that shows the devices and valves in question and it will become readily apparent what position they should be in.

GE likes to use a “block and bleed” system on these devices so they can be easily tested. My guess is one of the two round valves (Dragon Valves) is spring-loaded (meaning when you push on the valve handle it depresses a little (to close the valve) and when you release it the valve handle “pops out” to return to its normal position (to open the valve). The other round valve handle is used to open or close it’s valve by rotating the round valve handle (clockwise to close; anti-clockwise to open). If one depressed the spring-loaded valve handle and kept it depressed and opened the other valve and then slowly let the depressed valve handle open the pressure to the switch (or the pressure transmitter) would start dropping and the switch would change state or the pressure signal from the transmitter would be decreasing to near zero. (This presumes the Aux. L.O. Pump is running and there is normal L.O. Header pressure.) If you do this when the unit is running it will likely trip the unit…. This is meant as on off-line testing method.

I’m not quite clear about the two “Porting Valves” down below. They could be additional “blocking” valves for some purpose I am unfamiliar with.

But the Elin P&ID for the generator will give you the information you seek, or you can follow the tubes behind the metal plate to understand how they are interconnected.

Having written all of the above, GE Belfort (likely the packager/supplier of this unit) is famous for needlessly and unnecessarily complicating things—and this may turn out to be yet another example of such “engineering” from them. So, best to read the Elin manual and find and study the Elin P&ID.

Please write back to let us know what you discover!

Thanks CSA and Control Guy,
Unfortunately P&ID is not available that is exactly what i am after.
I can trace the lines, but due to limited space, i may need to remove couple of screws and front plate.
what i have seen is it required to close two porting valves to establish the required pressure on both transmitter and pressure switch.
GE part number looks to be 215D1061G003, but i do not have this drawing to confirm.

Yes; it is probably necessary to close the “blocking” Dragon valve (the one that twists to open and close) and the “Porting” valve. I presume the “Porting” valve is a means of connecting a pressure source for another means of testing and/or calibration. Those GE Belfort French people; they think of every (complicating) thing, don’t they?

When GE has used the Dragon block and bleed valves in the past, one is the bleed valve (it is normally and pressed to close; spring returns to open when released), and the other is the block valve (twisted closed for normal operation; twisted open temporarily for testing). Again, by temporarily holding the bleed valve in the closed position and opening the block valve and then slowly releasing the bleed valve to drain off pressure from the switch or transmitter through the open block valve the switch/transmitter can be functionally tested. Depress the bleed valve to close it again and then close the block valve and release the bleed valve andthey are back in normal service mode again.

I am still presuming the “Porting” valve is for connecting a pressure source or a calibrated pressure sensor—but that’s a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Arsed Guess).

Enjoy! Be safe, stay healthy—and keep looking for the Elin P&ID!!!

Thanks CSA and Control Guy,
Unfortunately P&ID is not available that is exactly what i am after.
I can trace the lines, but due to limited space, i may need to remove couple of screws and front plate.
what i have seen is it required to close two porting valves to establish the required pressure on both transmitter and pressure switch.
GE part number looks to be 215D1061G003, but i do not have this drawing to confirm.
Yoganak,

CSA is correct on everything. block/bleed etc. drain to test lube oil trip, etc.

However, the 9A5 was designed by GE and built by ELIN.

So GE drawings will need to be found. I highly recommend rather than spend a lot of time searching for drawings. PULL the cover off of that thing and trace it yourself. It will be much more rewarding.

Hi

Do you know designation/definition /signal name of 96QT 2B...I know what returns for 63 QT 2A..

Also dont you have a read on OEM operation & maintenance manual..

Cheers
After some searchs on my side , It appears that 96QT 2B STAND FOR Lube oile pressure transmitter for bearing 2
and 63 QT 2A refers to Lube oil pressure switch for Bearing 2 of this generator...

Cheers
James

Hi,

View attachment 1523
That is called blocking & porting box and it is more a "customer option " than a "standard " as not all units are equipped with it ...

I see electrical diagram of these devices but no track on piping ..

Hope this help!

Cheers
James

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the reply and really appreciate it. I had no luck getting the PID from GE, but below is the diagram I could draw as per the layout. It is clear the porting valves should be in closed position and did verify with another site too.

I will continue to upload if i receive the official drawing.
Once again, thanks all for your help.

Attachments