HMI MARK-V, Copying "Unit" folder after SRV/GCV calibration

Hello,

We have two gas turbines (A&B) with MARK-V controller and two HMI(A&B).
The two HMI are interconnected using arcnet network with the core C&D of tho two MARK-V panel, so we can see the cimplicity screens and the logic (rung display) of turbine-A from HMI-B and vice-versa, so the Site folder of each HMI (A&B) contains Unit-1&2 folders.
We recently did the calibration of SRV-GCV valves of turbine-B, so somme files in Unit-2 folder of the HMI-B have been modified (IO CFG,...).
Now we would like to know what is the next step to keep the same archetecure (able to see the details of both turbines in HMI-A or HMI-B )? should we copy Unit-2(modified) folder from HMI-B and overwrite the old one (Unit-2) In HMI-A? because we tryed it but without sucess by folowing these steps:
- Stopped the TCI in both HMI(A&B)
- Removed Site/Unit-2 folder in HMI-A
- Copyed Site/Unit-2 (modified) folder from HMI-B and put it in Site folder of HMI-A.
- Started TCI in both HMI(A&B)
We noticed that we became no more able to see the details (cimplicity screens and logics) of turbine-B from HMI-A (as we could before).

Thanks in advance
Regards

Raf80,

Hmmm..... When calibrating LVDTs (one DOES NOT calibrate the SRV or GCV (or IGVs)--one ONLY calibrates the LVDT feedback from devices equipped with LVDTs), there should typically be only two (2) files which change in the unit-specific directory: ACALIB.DAT and IOCFG_Q.DAT (for an <I>) or IOCFG_Q.AP1 (for a GE Mark V HMI). [See below for a special case explanation where there might be more files which change.] In most cases at most sites, that's it; no other file should be changed. AND, it's not even necessary to make changes to ACALIB.DAT every time AutoCalibrate is used, so that means only ONE file should be changed under most circumstances: either IOCFG_Q.DAT (for an <I> running IDOS), or IOCFG_Q.AP1 (for GE Mark V HMIs running MS-Windows and TCI).

So, at most under typical circumstances it should only be necessary to copy two files from the unit-specific directory of one HMI to any other HMI. It IS NOT necessary to copy any other files between unit-specific directories on multiple HMIs after calibrating LVDTs.

I can't really understand what happened when you performed the procedure you outlined. My only comment is that you said you "... removed ..." the SITE/UNIT2 from HMI-A--and that should not have been necessary. When you copy a file (or files) into a directory where files already exist with the same name the operating system (MS-DOS, or MS-Windows) should ask you if you want to replace the existing file with the same name, to which you would answer 'yes.'

If all that was done was to calibrate LVDT feedback, it should ONLY have been necessary to possibly make changes to ACALIB.DAT, and to certainly make changes to IOCFG_Q.DAT (for an <I>) or IOCFG_Q.AP1 (for a GE Mark V HMI) using the I/O Configurator. I have been to sites where people mistakenly believe that after calibrating LVDT feedback it is necessary to run the "total job compiler" (MK5MAKE.BAT)--but that's patently false and a bad myth. After running AutoCalibrate (and it's presumed that AutoCalibrate was used to calibrate SRV & GCV LVDT feedback at your site), it's necessary to calculate the average of the 0%- and 100%-stroke voltages (for each LVDT) and put the average values into the appropriate fields in the I/O Configurator, click on 'Verify' to be sure the change is valid and accepted by the I/O Configurator, and then click on 'Save and Exit' when closing the I/O Configurator. The I/O Configurator automatically saves the changes to a Intel hex format file that can be directly downloaded using the EEPROM Downloader--it is not necessary to run the total job compiler (MK5MAKE.BAT) to compile an I/O Configuration ASCII text file into a downloadable Intel hex format file--the I/O Configurator DOES NOT use ASCII text files (unlike all the other downloadable files.... consistently inconsistent as a former colleague used to always say!). The I/O Configurator actually opens the Intel hex format I/O Configuration files, and then when saving while exiting writes to the Intel hex format I/O Configuration file--again unlike when you manually edit most .SRC files (or CSP segment .SRC files) and then have to compile them in order to be able to download them.

Just another of the quirky aspects of the Mark V system which make it so dearly loved.... MOST downloadable EEPROM partitions have to be compiled before downloading after changes are made to their ASCII text file counterparts. BUT, not so with I/O Configuration; the I/O Configurator opens compiled I/O Configuration files (IOCFG_Q.xxx, IOCFG_C.xxx, IOCFG_D.xxx, IOCFG_B.xxx), displays the values stored in them as ASCII text, accepts ASCII text changes, and then when saving and exiting the I/O Configurator it places the changes into a compiled file which can be downloaded without compiling. Isn't this fun?!?!?!!??

Now, your site may be using a process where your LVDT calibration values from ACALIB.DAT are entered into processor-specific I/O Configuration ASCII text files and then a special batch file is used to compile those changes into processor-specific Intel hex format I/O Configuration files (specifically, IOCFG_R.xxx, IOCFG_S.xxx & IOCFG_T.xxx) which the EEPROM Downloader will automatically choose and use when downloading to the specific control processors. In this special case, when the I/O Configurator is opened, it WILL NOT display those processor-specific LVDT calibration values for <R>, <S> and <T>--it just displays the values from IOCFG_Q.xxx, which is not actually downloaded by the EEPROM Downloader if the processor-specific I/O Configuration files (IOCFG_R.xxx, IOCFG_S.xxx & IOCFG_T.xxx) are present in the unit-specific directory.

As for why you weren't able to see screens and logic after your "copy" procedure, I can't say for sure. But, I can say that "removing" a unit-specific directory (and most likely the PROM subdirectory under it as well!) and then copying the unit-specific directory from another HMI is not a good idea. It's only necessary to copy the files which changed--and you can determine that by sorting the files in the unit-specific directory of the HMI used to make the changes by date/time stamp. The files with the most recent date/time (the same day, and just a few minutes prior) will be the only files required to be copied from one HMI's unit-specific directory to another HMI's unit-specific directory for a particular unit.

Hope this helps!!! Look, I don't make this stuff up--it's just the way the uncoordinated group of individuals (because they weren't a team) developed the various aspects of the Mark V turbine control system. That group of individuals, their manager and the division manager were all made aware of the inconsistencies, but the manager of the group of individuals was unable to convince the individuals to work together as a team and have all the various aspects and procedures work the same (symmetrical) for users and technicians to better understand and be able to use them. They were all computer programmers, used to working in ASCII text and hex format and thought everyone should be able to do the same--but we're not all computer programmers like them and their manager. And, the product suffered greatly because of that inability to be sympathetic to non-programmers and develop methods and procedures which had a common look and feel for ease of use.

If you can detail which files were changed we can probably be a little more helpful, but based on the information provided this is as good as we can do.

Thank you very much for your time and the detailed explanation.
The files which changed on the date of calibration are : IOCFG_Q.AP1/IOCFG_Q.BAK/stderr.txt/stdout.txt, so maybe I should just copy these files?
We don't have In unit folder these kind of files : IOCFG_R.xxx, IOCFG_S.xxx & IOCFG_T.xxx