How to learn Cimplicity more in detail

Hello,I need to learn more about CImplicity in general,in especially about the entry points,the networking .Is there any book able to do that cause the manual is not enough.For example at the moment I have a problem with the scripts and I do not know how to fix it

Hello,I need to learn more about CImplicity in general,in especially about the entry points,the networking .Is there any book able to do that cause the manual is not enough.For example at the moment I have a problem with the scripts and I do not know how to fix it
Hello,

It would be a good thing to tell us here what kind of manual did you read and have so we can check if we can provide assistance with other manual ( that you do't have )..

Is this request for:

1) A DCS Mark* VIe?

2) A gas turbine Mark*VIe?

3) A steam turbine Mark* VIe?

4) To fix something that doesn’t work as expected in the as-supplied CIMPLICITY/PROFICY displays?

5) To add functionality to existing displays?

6) To modify existing displays?

7) To add new displays and functionality?

It’s important to understand that grown men and women who work intensively with CIMPLICITY/PROFICY have cried actual, real tears when trying to correct or understand how GE Salem and GE Belfort have implemented CIMPLICITY/PROFICY for turbine control and DCS applications. GE Salem and GE Belfort have both implemented their own “flavors” of special background services for their CIMPLICITY/PROFICY applications. And, in so doing have caused some very experienced and smart people to literally break down and cry real tears (both male and female).

Scripting is really pretty kludgey in turbine/DCS applications (at least any that GE Salem or GE Belfort have been involved in).

As much as I hate to say it, ControlsGuy25 is more than likely correct. It blows chunks, but it’s probably the best way to save time and your sanity.

There are—or there should be—CIMPLICITY/PROFICY manuals on the HMI(s). AND, there are—or should be—a CD case for CIMPLICITY-PROFICY left from the original installation/commissioning. And even if there isn’t, there should be on-line (on the HMI) Help for CIMEDIT (which is likely the display editor you are working with).

Most commissioning people learned what they know about CIMPLICITY/PROFICY by trial and error. Lots of trials, and even MORE errors. And, MANY had to call on tribal knowledge and even go directly to GE Salem or GE Belfort to get things to work the way they should have when they shipped from the factory to the field. And, most people didn’t write down the steps they learned—just as GE Salem and GE Belfort didn’t document any of their processes, workarounds and tricks.

Networking for GE turbine and DCS applications supplied by GE Salem and GE Belfort used to be relatively simple. There Was UDH, PDH and often ADH. All on the same Ethernet network (using managed network switches). Newer installations use Linux servers running MS-Windows virtual machines on thin clients for HMIs, and I have seen very little documentation on these new configurations. (Actually, I haven’t seen any documentation on these newer configurations—none, though I’ve only had distinct “pleasure” of working on a couple of the very first implementations of these configurations.

While I fully realize you may not find this information useful in your efforts it’s still important to understand why the information you seek may not—in fact probably does not—exist in any written form, because a lot of the things which were done to utilize CIMPLICITY/PROFICY in the turbine control (and some DCS) applications. Further, while one division (or two, depending on what/how one consider GE Belfort versus GE Salem...) uses CIMPLICITY/PROFICY (formerly another division of GE) to animate it's HMI graphic displays CIMPLICITY/PROFICY does not talk directly (natively) to any Mark* turbine control system. It MUST do so through a GE HMI running some kind of GE proprietary background service (such as TCI or WorkstationST). This is to prevent any off-the-shelf operator interface from communicating directly with the Mark*--really it's to prevent having to extensively test, re-test, and re-test, and re-test multiple operator interface softwares for compatibility issues (we're talking about sending commands to multi-million USD (US Dollar) equipments, after all--some with warranties and guarantees).

Again, best of luck! Contact the packager of the turbine for more assistance if you're trying to make what should have worked when it shipped now that it's in the field. If you want to do more than that, you can still pay for GE to come to site and do what you want--but it won't be inexpensive. And it will probably take a lot longer than expected.

I'm not sure what PLC your Cimplicity is connected with ? May be Emerson PLC (legacy GE Fanuc)?
I think you might be interested in Complete Cimplicty instead of the Cimplicity Advanced viewer which is what usually ships with GE make turbines. The full Cimplicity installation will have samples & user manuals. You may download their demo version from their customer portal, which used to work for about 4 hours. GE used to give training on these. Recently GE digital sent a mail for their new product launch (10 new products) Probably that might be good starting point for you.

Swami brings up a good point. Many newer Mark* VIe HMIs use CIMPLICITY Advanced Viewer on the individual HMIs since it’s primarily only for “colorful”, graphic representations of the equipment and for issuing commands to the equipment—which typically doesn’t require a full CIMPLICITY project to accomplish.

However, I believe CIMEDIT is still used to create displays, including scripts. But, with the way things change and with the lack of documentation it’s difficult to know what it being used at any particular site—and what work-around and special tricks are in use, or not.

WorkstationST complicates things to a great degree. And the whole thin client/VM thing is very complicated.

“We now return to our regularly scheduled program.”