Mass flow measurement in GT

P

Process Value

I have seen quite a no of turbines in indian refineries and none of them have air flow measurement. Though it is not a necessary instrumentation for control. it is a important one for online GT and HRSG efficiency calculations, compressor performance monitoring, creating a online energy balance diagram for GT and HRSG etc. I need a few pointers on how air flow measurement can be done in GT in a proper and cost effective manner.

Where the flow measurement device is to be installed ?
Location should be in the air inlet duct or in the exhaust. My preference is in the air inlet duct as it has a clean air. As i am already measuring the fuel flow, i can add it to the inlet air flow to get the exhaust air flow.

What type of air flow measurement device is to be used ?
I have zeroed on to two choices. One is Pilot tube measurement (single port pilot with ventury) and the other is the use of thermal mass flow meters (which uses air velocity probes).

I would like to have an open discussion on the above questions. If there are any sites which have implemented a air flow measurement in GT's any details regarding how it was done and experience on accuracy, maintenance etc .. from it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.