Measuring Temperature of a Water Basin

B

BobbyP

Looking for suggestions on measuring the temperature of a body of water that may rise and fall 10-15 feet. I need to send a 4-20Ma signal to a DCS or PLC. I considered a Rosemount tranmitter with remote RTD sensor but am not sure how I would mount this probe and thermowell deep enough to always be submerged. Has anybody done this before or have any suggestions???

D

Dick Compton

We did something like this with RTDs on small bouys in a river. With an RF modem, everything worked great.

C

Curt Wuollet

You would need to define what temperature. Still water stratifies so temperature will depend on depth. For consistancy, a sensor suspended by a float is often used. It would seem a good way to solve your level variation as well.

Regards

cww

Hi... I would still try Rosemount and inquire about one their averaging RTD's model#1082 averaging sensors. They are available in a variety of configurations of points and lengths. You could also RF this signal bal to your PLC or DCS within limits... otherwise you will need a data logger of some sort and then manually retreive the data.

Cheers!!!