Power Factor and Reactive Power Flow for grid compliance

S

Stefan

Hi all,

I have a grid operator requirement for connecting a 500 kW turbine generator to the distribution grid which must operate between the power factor range of 0.99 lead to 0.95 lead. No lag values accepted. For my generator to operate within this range, will it be producing reactive power or absorbing reactive power?

Thanks

Stefan,

What kind of generator is to be connected to the grid? (In other words, is it a synchronous generator or an induction generator?)

How many phases does the generator have?

I would agree, that, by convention <b>with respect to the generator terminals</b> a leading power factor would mean the generator would be absorbing power from the grid.

However, I have seen grid requirements (in the form or Purchased Power Agreement obligations) reactive power requirements stated at a substation where the grid tie was made, and which may be expressed opposite to the power factor experienced at the generator terminals. (Reactive power can be SO much fun (NOT!) to try to explain.)

Also, I have not seen a generator--other than an induction generator--dictated to operate in a leading power factor when synchronized to a grid.

Hence the request for clarification, especially since 500 KW is relatively small for most generator, even gasoline engine-driven generators. This sounds like a small hydro- or wind turbine-powered induction generator which would only likely ever operate with a leading power factor.