remote analog IO compatible with AB Ether/IP

R

R Diaz

Can someone recommend less expensive alternatives to ABs FlexI/O or PointI/O when remote 4-20ma non-isolated 8-point or more analog input modules are required to monitor groups of (for example) pressure/temperature transmitters distributed throughout a plant? For example, to add a new group of 8 analog inputs to our current Controllogix controlled and ether/ip-networked monitoring and alarm system requires a $400-600 flexio or pointIO etherIP adapter and an $800 8-point analog input module. Thanks for your comments on alternatives.

B

bob peterson

pretty much anybody that has ethernet/IP I/O will work with Clx.

opto22 has some that is reasonably cost effective by comparison with the prices you are paying for AB stuff.

--
Bob

Thanks for your input Bob, I am now looking at some of the ODVA vendors that supply IO modules for ether/IP. In rslogix 5000 do you simply add those devices as if they were AB hardware (with their corresponding eds files) and tags are created automatically, or do you treat them as generic devices and make block transfers? I ask because while browsing I ran into some examples of non-AB devices that required block transfers and were configured as generic devices. I wonder if its the same for all non-ab stuff, or if there are brands that integrate more seamlessly into a project. Thanks for your comments....

B

Bob Peterson

All the manufacturers I have run across have examples on their web sites on how this is done. I would look there for specific information on a specific product. I have not ran across anything non-AB that only worked via block transfer, but my experience with them is limited.